夏洛的网 第155期:多里安医生(9)
英语课
"I never heard one say anything," he replied.
“我从来没听说过动物会说话,”多里安医生说,
"But that proves nothing.
“不过这不证明什么。
It is quite possible that an animal has spoken civilly to me
很可能有只动物曾经私底下对我说过话,
and that I didn't catch the remark because I wasn't paying attention.
可我没听到,只因为我没在意。
Children pay better attention than grownups.
孩子们比大人更在意。
If Fern says that the animals in Zuckerman's barn 1 talk,
如果弗恩说朱克曼家谷仓的动物说话,
I'm quite ready to believe her.
我很乐意相 信她的话。
Perhaps if people talked less, animals would talk more.
也许如果人少说话,动物就会多说些。
People are incessant 2 talkers - I can give you my word on that."
人是喋喋不休在说话的——我可以向你保证。”
"Well, I feel better about Fern," said Mrs. Arable 3.
“很好,我对弗恩觉得放心些了,”阿拉布尔太太说,
"You don't think I need worry about her?"
“你不觉得我该为她担心吗?”
"Does she look well?" asked the doctor.
“她看上去好不好?”
"Oh, yes."
“哦,很好。”
"Appetite 4 good?"
“胃口也好?”
"Oh, yes, she's always hungry."
“哦,是的,她老觉得肚子饿。”
"Sleep well at night?"
“夜里睡得好吗?”
"Oh, yes."
“噢,很好。”
"Then don't worry," said the doctor.
“那你就不用担心,”医生说。
n.谷仓,饲料仓,牲口棚
- That big building is a barn for keeping the grain.那幢大房子是存放粮食的谷仓。
- The cows were driven into the barn.牛被赶进了牲口棚。
adj.不停的,连续的
- We have had incessant snowfall since yesterday afternoon.从昨天下午开始就持续不断地下雪。
- She is tired of his incessant demands for affection.她厌倦了他对感情的不断索取。
adj.可耕的,适合种植的
- The terrain changed quickly from arable land to desert.那个地带很快就从耕地变成了沙漠。
- Do you know how much arable land has been desolated?你知道什么每年有多少土地荒漠化吗?
标签:
夏洛的网