夏洛的网 第188期:卵袋(3)
英语课
"What makes you sound so down-hearted? “是什么让你的声音那么伤感呢?
I should think you'd be terribly happy about this." 我以为这件喜事会让你快乐无比。”
"Oh, don't pay any attention to me," said Charlotte. “噢,别管我,”夏洛说,
"I just don't have much pep any more. “我只是再没有力气了。
I guess I feel sad because I won't ever see my children." 我想我觉得难过,是因为我将看不到我这些孩子了。”
"What do you mean you won't see your children! “你看不到你的孩子,这是什么意思?
Of course you will. We'll all see them. 你当然看得到。我们全都看得到它们。
It's going to be simply wonderful next spring in the barn cellar 1 这简直是了不起,来年春天谷仓底
with five hundred and fourteen baby spiders running around all over the place. 有五百十四只蜘蛛宝宝到处奔来跑去。
And the geese will have a new set of goslings, 那些鹅要有新一代鹅宝宝,
and the sheep will have their new lambs ..." 那些羊又有它们的小羊羔……”
"Maybe," said Charlotte quietly. “也许吧,”夏洛安静地说,
"However, I have a feeling I'm not going to see the results of last night's efforts. “不过我有一种感觉,我不会看到昨天夜里辛苦工作的成果。
I don't feel good at all. 我一点不觉得舒服。
I think I'm languishing 3, to tell you the truth." 对你说实话,我想我在衰竭。”
Wilbur didn't understand the word "languish 2" 威尔伯不明白“衰歇”是什么意思,
and he hated to bother Charlotte by asking her to explain. 但不想问夏落,免得麻烦它解释。
But he was so worried he felt he had to ask. 不过它实在太担心,觉得又只好问它。
"What does 'languishing' mean?" “‘衰竭’是什么意思?”
"It means I'm slowing up, feeling my age. “就是感到老了,越来越没有力气了。
I'm not young any more, Wilbur. 我不再年轻啦,威尔伯。
But I don't want you to worry about me. 不过我不要你为我担心。
This is your big day today. 今天是你的大好日子。
Look at my web - doesn't it show up well with the dew 4 on it?" 你看看我的网——上面有露水,它看上去不是很漂亮吗?”
n.地窖,地下室,酒窖
- He took a bottle of wine from the cellar.他从酒窖里拿出一瓶酒。
- The little girl hid away in the cellar.小姑娘藏在地下室里。
vi.变得衰弱无力,失去活力,(植物等)凋萎
- Without the founder's drive and direction,the company gradually languished.没有了创始人的斗志与指引,公司逐渐走向没落。
- New products languish on the drawing board.新产品在计划阶段即告失败。
a. 衰弱下去的
- He is languishing for home. 他苦思家乡。
- How long will she go on languishing for her red-haired boy? 为想见到她的红头发的儿子,她还将为此烦恼多久呢?
标签:
夏洛的网