木偶奇遇记 第56期:去法庭报案(2)
英语课
As he did so, he heard a hearty 1 burst of laughter close to his head.
正在这时,他听到自己的头上方突然传来大笑声。
He turned sharply, and there, just above him on the branch of a tree, sat a large Parrot, busily preening 2 his feathers.
他抬头一看,只见上方的一根树枝上坐着只大鹦鹉,正在忙着理它身上的羽毛。
"What are you laughing at?" Pinocchio asked peevishly 3.
“你笑什么?”皮诺乔急躁地问它。
"I am laughing because, in preening my feathers, I tickled 4 myself under the wings."
“我笑是因为我理羽毛的时候,把翅膀下的胳肢窝弄痒了。”
The Marionette 5 did not answer. He walked to the brook 6, filled his shoe with water, and once more sprinkled the ground which covered the gold pieces.
木偶没答话。他走到水沟那里,用鞋子打来一鞋子水,重新浇在盖着金币的那片土上。
Another burst of laughter, even more impertinent than the first, was heard in the quiet field.
又一阵笑声回荡在寂静的田野上,这一次笑得比上次更放肆。
"Well," cried the Marionette, angrily this time, "may I know, Mr. Parrot, what amuses you so?"
“不管怎么说,”皮诺乔叫到,这次他生气了,“你告诉我,鹦鹉先生,你笑什么?”
"I am laughing at those simpletons who believe everything they hear and who allow themselves to be caught so easily in the traps set for them."
“我在笑那些傻瓜,他们竟会什么话都相信,轻易就让自己进入了别人给他们设置的陷阱。”
"Do you, perhaps, mean me?"
“莫非你是在说我吗?”
"I certainly do mean you, poor Pinocchio--you who are such a little silly as to believe that gold can be sown in a field just like beans or squash. I, too, believed that once and today I am very sorry for it.
“我就是在说你,可怜的皮诺乔,你竟然蠢到相信金币可以像豆子和南瓜那样在田野上播种收获。我曾经也相信过一次,到如今都觉得后悔。
Today (but too late! ) I have reached the conclusion that, in order to come by money honestly, one must work and know how to earn it with hand or brain."
如今(可惜太晚了!)我确信,要想正直地挣钱,必须懂得用自己的手劳动,或者用自己的头脑思索。”
adj.热情友好的;衷心的;尽情的,纵情的
- After work they made a hearty meal in the worker's canteen.工作完了,他们在工人食堂饱餐了一顿。
- We accorded him a hearty welcome.我们给他热忱的欢迎。
v.(鸟)用嘴整理(羽毛)( preen的现在分词 )
- Will you stop preening yourself in front of the mirror? 你别对着镜子打扮个没完行不行?
- She was fading, while he was still preening himself in his elegance and youth. 她已显老,而他却仍然打扮成翩翩佳公子。 来自英汉文学 - 嘉莉妹妹
adv.暴躁地
- Paul looked through his green glasses peevishly when the other speaker brought down the house with applause. 当另一个演说者赢得了满座喝彩声时,保罗心里又嫉妒又气恼。
- "I've been sick, I told you," he said, peevishly, almost resenting her excessive pity. “我生了一场病,我告诉过你了,"他没好气地说,对她的过分怜悯几乎产生了怨恨。 来自英汉文学 - 嘉莉妹妹
(使)发痒( tickle的过去式和过去分词 ); (使)愉快,逗乐
- We were tickled pink to see our friends on television. 在电视中看到我们的一些朋友,我们高兴极了。
- I tickled the baby's feet and made her laugh. 我胳肢孩子的脚,使她发笑。
n.木偶
- With this marionette I wish to travel through the world.我希望带着这个木偶周游世界。
- The development of marionette had a great influence on the future development of opera.木偶戏的发展对以后的戏曲有十分重要的影响。
标签:
木偶奇遇记