木偶奇遇记 第84期:匹诺曹上学(2)
英语课
As the days passed into weeks, even the teacher praised him, for he saw him attentive 1, hard working, and wide awake, always the first to come in the morning, and the last to leave when school was over.
随着时间过去了几个礼拜,就连老师都夸奖他,看见他上课专心,读书用功又机智,总是早上第一个进学校,放学最后一个离开。
Pinocchio's only fault was that he had too many friends.
皮诺乔唯一的缺点就是朋友太多。
Among these were many well-known rascals 2, who cared not a jot 3 for study or for success.
其中有不少是鼎鼎大名的淘气鬼,他们对读书或者成功毫不关心。
The teacher warned him each day, and even the good Fairy repeated to him many times: "Take care, Pinocchio!
老师每天都警告他,就连善良的仙女也反复对他说:“小心啊,皮诺乔!
Those bad companions will sooner or later make you lose your love for study. Some day they will lead you astray."
你这些坏同学迟早会使你不爱学习,说不定有天还会使你误入歧途。”
"There's no such danger," answered the Marionette 4, shrugging his shoulders and pointing to his forehead as if to say, "I'm too wise."
“没有这样的危险,”木偶耸耸肩膀回答说,还用食指指脑门表示:“我再聪明不过了。”
So it happened that one day, as he was walking to school, he met some boys who ran up to him and said: "Have you heard the news?" -"No!"
于是有一天,他在上学的路上,忽然遇到一帮孩子,他们对他说:“你听说新闻了吗?”-“没有!”
"A Shark as big as a mountain has been seen near the shore."
“有人看见海边有一条跟山一样大的鲨鱼。”
"Really? I wonder if it could be the same one I heard of when my father was drowned?"
“真的吗?我好奇是我爸爸被淹死时听说的那条鲨鱼==吗?”
"We are going to see it. Are you coming?" -"No, not I. I must go to school."
“我们打算到海边去看。你也来吗?”-“不,我不去。我必须得去上学。”
"What do you care about school? You can go there tomorrow. With a lesson more or less, we are always the same donkeys."
“学校有什么要紧?你可以明天再去。多上或少上一课都一样,我们还是跟驴一样蠢。”
"And what will the teacher say?" -"Let him talk. He is paid to grumble 5 all day long."
“老师会怎么说呢?”-“让他说去吧。他就是被雇来整天唠叨的。”
"And my mother?" -"Mothers don't know anything," answered those scamps.
“那我妈妈呢?”-“妈妈们什么都不会知道的。”这些顽皮孩子说。
adj.注意的,专心的;关心(别人)的,殷勤的
- She was very attentive to her guests.她对客人招待得十分周到。
- The speaker likes to have an attentive audience.演讲者喜欢注意力集中的听众。
流氓( rascal的名词复数 ); 无赖; (开玩笑说法)淘气的人(尤指小孩); 恶作剧的人
- "Oh, but I like rascals. "唔,不过我喜欢流氓。
- "They're all second-raters, black sheep, rascals. "他们都是二流人物,是流氓,是恶棍。
n.少量;vi.草草记下;vt.匆匆写下
- I'll jot down their address before I forget it.我得赶快把他们的地址写下来,免得忘了。
- There is not a jot of evidence to say it does them any good.没有丝毫的证据显示这对他们有任何好处。
n.木偶
- With this marionette I wish to travel through the world.我希望带着这个木偶周游世界。
- The development of marionette had a great influence on the future development of opera.木偶戏的发展对以后的戏曲有十分重要的影响。
标签:
木偶奇遇记