英语小达人 211 Rules to Give to Your Boss
英语课
Rules to Give to Your Boss
给你老板的规定
Rules for Work (Should go over well with your boss.)
工作条例(应得到老板的赞许)
Print it out and hang it over your workstation...
把它打印出来张贴在办公室里。
1. Never give me work in the morning. Always wait until 4:00 and then bring it to me. The challenge of a deadline is refreshing 1.
1. 不要在早上给我布置工作。要等到下午4点钟再说,挑战最后期限的工作才有意思。
2. If it's really a rush job, run in and interrupt me every 10 minutes to inquire how it's going. That helps. Or even better, hover 2 behind me, advising me at every keystroke.
2. 如果这是一份紧急工作,就每10分钟跑进来打断我问一下进展。这很有帮助的。或者可以更甚,就在我身后转悠,我每干点儿什么就提点儿建议。
3. Always leave without telling anyone where you're going. It gives me a chance to be creative when someone asks where you are.
3. 你要出去时,不要告诉任何人。这样,有人问起你时,我的回答就可以很有创意。
4. If my arms are full of papers, boxes, books, or supplies, don't open the door for me. I need to learn how to function as a paraplegic and opening doors with no arms is good training in case I should ever be injured and lose all use of my limbs.
4. 如果我手上抱满了纸张、盒子、书本或是办公用品,不要帮我开门。我该学学像残疾人一样生活。不用手开门就是很好的训练,这样,万一我受伤失去手臂就没问题了。
5. If you give me more than one job to do, don't tell me which is priority. I am psychic 3.
5. 如果你一次交代给我几件事做,不要告诉我哪件更重要,我有心灵感应。
6. Do your best to keep me late. I adore this office and really have nowhere to go or anything to do. I have no life beyond work.
6. 尽你所能让我加班吧。我热爱这间公司,而且我真的没地方可去也没事可做。工作就是我生活的全部。
7. If a job I do pleases you, keep it a secret. If that gets out, it could mean a promotion 4.
7. 如果我的工作做得让你满意,不要说出来。如果说出来,就意味着要提升我了。
8. If you don't like my work, tell everyone. I like my name to be popular in conversations. I was born to be whipped.
8. 如果我的工作做得让你不满意,就说出来吧。我喜欢同事们谈论我,我生来就是挨批的。
9. If you have special instructions for a job, don't write them down. In fact, save them until the job is almost done. No use confusing me with useful information.
9. 如果你对某项工作有特别的指示,不要写给我。就留到工作快要做完时再对我说吧。没必要用些有用的信息来困惑我。
10. Never introduce me to the people you're with. I have no right to know anything. In the corporate 5 food chain, I am plankton 6. When you refer to them later, my shrewd deductions 7 will identify them.
10. 不要把我介绍给和你在一起的人,我没有权利知道任何事情。在公司组织中,我处于最底层。今后,你再提到他们时,我自然会敏锐地推导出谁是谁。
11. Tell me all your little problems. No one else has any and it's nice to know someone is less fortunate. I especially like the story about having to pay so much taxes on the bonus check you received for being such a good manager.
11. 把你遇到的小问题都告诉我。知道有人不那么幸运的感觉很好。我尤其喜欢听那段,就是关于你这个成功的经理要为你拿到的大笔红利缴纳高额税费。
12. Wait until my yearly review and THEN tell me what my goals SHOULD have been. Give me a mediocre 8 performance rating with a cost of living increase. I'm not here for the money anyway.
12. 到我该做年终总结时再告诉我本年度的目标是什么。给我一个不好不坏的评定,还有提高一点儿生活费用,毕竟我在这儿工作不是为了赚钱的。
重点讲解:
1. go over with sb.
获得好评,使人留下深刻印象;
eg. I thought the project would go over big with the boss.
我以为那个计划会得到老板的赏识。
2. in case
以防万一;以防;如果
eg. I guess we've already talked about this but I'll ask you again just in case.
我想我们已经谈过这个问题了,不过为了以防万一,我再问你一次。
eg. Write the telephone number down in case you forget.
把电话号码写下来以免忘了。
3. get out
消息、信息等)泄露,为人所知;
eg. If word got out now, a scandal could be disastrous 9.
如果消息现在传出去,可能会是灾难性的丑闻。
eg. Even if you just tell one person, the secret is likely to get out.
即使你只告诉了一个人,秘密也很有可能被泄露出去。
4. be born to do sth.
生而为……;命中注定;
eg. Instead, you were born to live your life - determine today to be good at it. After all, you only get one shot.
相反,你是为了过你自己的生活而生的-今天作出决定并且做好它,毕竟你只能有一个选择。
eg. He is a born to be a leader . He never conceal 10 his desire to be a certain leader himself.
他天生是做上司的料,他自己也从不隐讳要成为上司的野心。
5. introduce one person to another
介绍;引荐;使相互认识;
eg. Tim, may I introduce you to my uncle's secretary, Mary Waller.
蒂姆,我来介绍一下,这位是我叔叔的秘书玛丽·沃勒。
eg. She introduced me to her friend.
她把我介绍给她的朋友。
6. refer to
涉及;提及;描述;谈及;
eg. In his speech, he referred to a recent trip to Canada.
他在讲演中提到了前不久的加拿大之行。
eg. The rule refers only to special cases.
这条规则只涉及一些特殊的情况。
adj.使精神振作的,使人清爽的,使人喜欢的
- I find it'so refreshing to work with young people in this department.我发现和这一部门的青年一起工作令人精神振奋。
- The water was cold and wonderfully refreshing.水很涼,特别解乏提神。
vi.翱翔,盘旋;徘徊;彷徨,犹豫
- You don't hover round the table.你不要围着桌子走来走去。
- A plane is hover on our house.有一架飞机在我们的房子上盘旋。
n.对超自然力敏感的人;adj.有超自然力的
- Some people are said to have psychic powers.据说有些人有通灵的能力。
- She claims to be psychic and to be able to foretell the future.她自称有特异功能,能预知未来。
n.提升,晋级;促销,宣传
- The teacher conferred with the principal about Dick's promotion.教师与校长商谈了迪克的升级问题。
- The clerk was given a promotion and an increase in salary.那个职员升了级,加了薪。
adj.共同的,全体的;公司的,企业的
- This is our corporate responsibility.这是我们共同的责任。
- His corporate's life will be as short as a rabbit's tail.他的公司的寿命是兔子尾巴长不了。
n.浮游生物
- Plankton is at the bottom of the marine food chain.浮游生物处于海洋食物链的最底层。
- The plankton in the sea feeds many kinds of animals. 海的浮游生物成为很多种动物的食物。
扣除( deduction的名词复数 ); 结论; 扣除的量; 推演
- Many of the older officers trusted agents sightings more than cryptanalysts'deductions. 许多年纪比较大的军官往往相信特务的发现,而不怎么相信密码分析员的推断。
- You know how you rush at things,jump to conclusions without proper deductions. 你知道你处理问题是多么仓促,毫无合适的演绎就仓促下结论。
adj.平常的,普通的
- The student tried hard,but his work is mediocre. 该生学习刻苦,但学业平庸。
- Only lazybones and mediocre persons could hanker after the days of messing together.只有懒汉庸才才会留恋那大锅饭的年代。
adj.灾难性的,造成灾害的;极坏的,很糟的
- The heavy rainstorm caused a disastrous flood.暴雨成灾。
- Her investment had disastrous consequences.She lost everything she owned.她的投资结果很惨,血本无归。