英语小达人 246 He Knows You
英语课
He Knows You
他认得你
An elderly couple was driving on the interstate. While the woman was behind the wheel, the couple was pulled over by the highway patrol.
一对老夫妇开车走在州际公路上。老太太开车时,被巡警拦了下来。
"Ma'am, did you know you were speeding?" the office said.
“夫人,你超速了,知道吗?”
The woman, hard of hearing, turned to her husband and asked, "What did he say?"
老太太耳背,转向老头问:“他说什么?”
"He said you were speeding!" the old man yelled.
老头大叫:“他说你超速啦!”
The patrolman then asked, "May I see your license 1?"
巡警接着说:“请出示你的驾照,好吗?”
The woman turned to her husband again, "What did he say?"
老太太又转向老头问:“他说什么?”
The old man yelled back, "He wants to see your license!"
老头大叫:“他要看你的驾照!”
The woman gave the officer her license.
老太太把驾照递给巡警。
"I see you are from Arkansas," the patrolman said. "I spent some time there once and went on a blind date with the ugliest woman I've ever seen."
“你是阿肯色州人,”巡警说,“我在那儿待过一段时间,还和一个女人约会过,她可真是我见过的女人里最丑的一个。”
The woman turned to her husband again and asked, "What did he say?"
老太太再次转向老头问:“他说什么?”
The old man replied, "He said he knows you!"
老头大叫:“他说他认得你!”
重点讲解:
1. behind the wheel
开车;驾驶;掌管;控制;
eg. Unfortunately, I was still very clumsy behind the wheel of the jeep.
令人遗憾的是我开起吉普来还是笨手笨脚。
eg. His father's death left him behind the wheel of the firm.
他父亲去世了,由他掌管这家公司。
2. go on a date
约会;
eg. I will go on a date tonight.
今天晚上我将去约会。
eg. Carl wanted to go on a date with Carol.
卡尔想和卡罗尔约会。
3. blind date
盲目约会;(由第三方安排的)男女初次约会;
eg. Actually, I'm setting him up on a blind date today as we speak.
其实,我今天帮他安排了一个相亲。
eg. They take on new assignments like high school kids on their first blind date.
他们接受新任务,就像高中生盲目地去赴他们的第一次约会。