冰与火之歌系列之《权力的游戏》第80期:第六章 凯特琳 (5)
时间:2019-01-02 作者:英语课 分类:冰与火之歌系列之《权力的游戏》
英语课
Ned looked irritated. Been left? By whom? Has there been a rider? I was not told. 奈德面带愠色地问:"有人留给你一封信?谁留的?今天有信使来过?我如何不知情?"
There was no rider, my lord. Only a carved wooden box, left on a table in my observatory 1 while I napped. "老爷,不是信使带来的。有人趁我打盹时,把一个雕工精巧的木盒放在我观星室的书桌上。
My servants saw no one, but it must have been brought by someone in the king’s party. We have had no other visitors from the south. 我的仆人说没看到人进出,但想来一定是跟国王一道的人留下的,我们没有其他从南方来的访客。"
A wooden box, you say? Catelyn said. "你说是个木盒子?"凯特琳问。
Inside was a fine new lens for the observatory, from Myr by the look of it. The lenscrafters of Myr are without equal. "里面装了个精美的透镜,专用于观星,看来应该是密尔的做工。密尔产的透镜可称举世无双。"
Ned frowned. He had little patience for this sort of thing, Catelyn knew. A lens, he said. What has that to do with me? 奈德又皱起眉头,凯特琳知道他对这类琐事一向毫无耐性。"透镜?"他说,"这与我有何关系?"
I asked the same question, Maester Luwin said. Clearly there was more to this than the seeming. "当时,我也抱着相同的疑问,"鲁温师傅道,"显然这里面暗藏玄机。"
Under the heavy weight of her furs, Catelyn shivered. A lens is an instrument to help us see. 躲在厚重毛皮下的凯特琳颤抖着说:"透镜的用途是看清真相。"
Indeed it is. He fingered the collar of his order; a heavy chain worn tight around the neck beneath his robe, each link forged from a different metal. "没错。"学士摸了摸象征自己身份的项圈,那是一串用许多片不同金属打造而成的沉重项链。
Catelyn could feel dread 2 stirring inside her once again. What is it that they would have us see more clearly? 凯特琳只觉一股恐惧从心底升起。"那究竟想让我们看清什么呢?"
The very thing I asked myself. Maester Luwin drew a tightly rolled paper out of his sleeve. "这正是问题所在。"鲁温学士从衣袖里取出一封卷得密密实实的信笺。"
I found the true message concealed 3 within a false bottom when I dismantled 4 the box the lens had come in, but it is not for my eyes. 于是我把整个木盒分解开来,在假的盒底找到真正的信。不过这封信不是给我的。"
n.天文台,气象台,瞭望台,观测台
- Guy's house was close to the observatory.盖伊的房子离天文台很近。
- Officials from Greenwich Observatory have the clock checked twice a day.格林威治天文台的职员们每天对大钟检查两次。
vt.担忧,忧虑;惧怕,不敢;n.担忧,畏惧
- We all dread to think what will happen if the company closes.我们都不敢去想一旦公司关门我们该怎么办。
- Her heart was relieved of its blankest dread.她极度恐惧的心理消除了。
a.隐藏的,隐蔽的
- The paintings were concealed beneath a thick layer of plaster. 那些画被隐藏在厚厚的灰泥层下面。
- I think he had a gun concealed about his person. 我认为他当时身上藏有一支枪。
拆开( dismantle的过去式和过去分词 ); 拆卸; 废除; 取消
- The plant was dismantled of all its equipment and furniture. 这家工厂的设备和家具全被拆除了。
- The Japanese empire was quickly dismantled. 日本帝国很快被打垮了。
标签:
权力的游戏