我太紧张了
SCENE② B 艾文与玛莉在意式浓缩咖啡机前碰面
【我太紧张了】
Elvin: Wow. She can be really 1) nasty, can't she?
艾文: 哇。她讨厌起来还真要命,不是吗?
Mary: No. She was right. I was too nervous. I kept thinking, "What if we 2) blow it"?
玛莉: 不。她说得对。我太紧张了。我满脑子都在想“万一我们搞砸了怎么办?”
Elvin: Well, I guess Zina figured you couldn't blow it if you were in the hotel room.
艾文: 呃,我猜吉娜料想,若你待在旅馆房间就不会坏事了。
Mary: She even stayed at a different hotel. She said I might be 3) contagious 1.
玛莉: 她甚至还住在另一间旅馆。她说我这坏心态或许会传染。
Elvin: Well, at least we have Stars.com. That'll be great 4) publicity 2.
艾文: 呃,起码我们有了Stars.com。那会是很好的宣传。
语言详解
A: You can be really nasty to your friends.
你有时候对朋友还真恶劣。
B: They deserve it.
他们活该。
【What if 万一……怎么办】
what if = what will we/you do if,是省略掉“你(或我)要怎么办”字眼,达到简洁的目的。
A: I agree with you. But what if Cindy comes in five minutes?
我同意你的想法。但是万一辛蒂五分钟后来了怎么办?
B: Well, we have waited for her at least 45 minutes.
我们至少己经等她四十五分钟啦。
A: Let's stay another ten minutes.
让我们多停留十分钟吧。
1) nasty (a.) 惹人厌的,低劣的
2) blow (v.) 搞砸,失败
3) contagious (a.) 具传染性的
4) publicity (n.) 宣传,知名度
- It's a highly contagious infection.这种病极易传染。
- He's got a contagious laugh.他的笑富有感染力。