VOA Learning English presents Americas Presidents. Today we are talking about George Walker Bush. He took office in 2001 as the 43rd president. He has a similar name to another president -- his father, George Herbert Walker Bush. To simplify things,

发表于:2018-11-27 / 阅读(378) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年VOA慢速英语(十二)月

A: I cant believe Obama is our President. B: I am proud to know that he is our President. A: You voted for him, right? B: Did you vote for him, because I know that I did. A: I did, too. B: I have nothing but faith in Obama. A: Really? B: Im sure he w

发表于:2018-12-02 / 阅读(73) / 评论(0) 分类 英语情景对话-选举

Indonesian President Joko Widodo is facing a social media campaign as he prepares to seek re-election next year. The campaign has criticized him for failing to show enough sympathy to Islamic interests and the rising prices of household goods. The mo

发表于:2018-12-08 / 阅读(59) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年VOA慢速英语(九)月

And the Winner Is Store Owner Predicts Next US President With the American elections just a few days away, researchers are busy preparing last-minute opinion surveys. The researchers hope to identify the next president of the United States by questio

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(127) / 评论(0) 分类 2016年VOA慢速英语(十一)月

You are in luck if you want to buy a life-sized reproduction of a former American president. On January 14, a museum plans to sell off its entire statue collection of 43 presidents and their wives. They are being offered for sale at a public auction.

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(63) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年VOA慢速英语(一)月

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 18 (Xinhua) -- Retired soccer star Ronaldo on Sunday revealed his aspirations of entering the world of politics and becoming the next president of the Brazilian Confederation of Soccer (CBF). With the sudden and unexpected resig

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(59) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

JERUSALEM, March 16 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu informed President Shimon Peres Saturday night that he has completed the task of forming the new ruling coalition, which is expected to be sworn in Monday. As you know, I forme

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

CARACAS, March 5 (Xinhua) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died Tuesday in a military hospital in Caracas, Vice President Nicols Maduro announced on the national radio and television. With tears in his eyes, Mature addressed Venezuelans from the D

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Conservative party leader Sauli Niinistoe has won Finland's presidential election by a landslide and will become the country's first conservative president in 30 years. Officials say Mr. Niinistoe, of the National Coalition Party, won 63 percent of t

发表于:2019-01-17 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has returned to Yemen from Saudi Arabia after recieving medial treatment from injuries sustained an assassination attempt bomb attack back in June. Saleh's supporters have held various celebrations around the count

发表于:2019-01-19 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 世界各地新闻集锦

BRUSSELS, March 1 (Xinhua) -- Top leaders of the European Union (EU) on Thursday all agreed to extend the mandate of European Council President Herman Van Rompuy for another two and a half years during a summit in Brussels. As the only candidate for

发表于:2019-02-08 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

U.S. President Barack Obama is urging Congress to pass a housing plan he says will save qualifying homeowners thousands of dollars each year on their mortgage. During his weekly address Saturday, Mr. Obama said the housing crisis has been one of the

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

India's finance minister has stepped down to run for president. Pranab Mukherjee submitted his formal resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday. He will be the ruling, Congress Party-led, coalition's candidate in the July 19 presidentia

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(81) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

KAMPALA, July 12 (Xinhua) -- Uganda's Vice President Edward Ssekandi will lead the country's delegation to the 2012 London Olympics as a way of morale boosting the team to win medals. Dennis Galabuzi, the Uganda Olympic Committee (UOC) vice president

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

The president of the World Bank cautioned on Monday that much remains to be done to improve the economies in countries in the Middle East and North Africa where popular uprisings have removed repressive leaders. Regional experts at a conference(会议

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Residents of the breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia voted for a new president Friday, three years after Russia recognized the region, and another breakaway area, South Ossetia, as independent states. Three candidates are hoping to replace Presiden

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(78) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden says the White House will keep acting on its own if congressional Republicans fail to pass the Democratic administrations jobs bill. Republicans are offering their own proposals. Filling in for President Barack Obama to

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan went on television Saturday to promise that the government will share hardship with ordinary citizens, hit by rising fuel costs. The president announced that foreign travel of government officials will be reduced

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Croats begin voting in decisive round of presidential elections with opinion polls predicting narrow victory for left-leaning candidate Ivo Josipovic. Stefan Bos | Budapest 10 January 2010 Croatia's presidential candidate Ivo Josipovic of the Social

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(114) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(一月)

LOS CABOS, Mexico, June 19 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao met his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama Tuesday in Los Cabos, Mexico, on bilateral relations and major regional and global issues of common concern. Hu, during the meeting, said, This i

发表于:2019-02-19 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻