There's a disturbing side to the diamond trade--- the traffic of conflict diamonds, otherwise known as blood diamonds. This is Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone on the West African coast, a country still emerging from ten years of war. During tha

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(76) / 评论(0) 分类 国家地理2007年

AS IT IS - Child Soldiers in Africa Hello, Im Steve Ember. Today we take you to Africa. First stop Sierra Leone, where the Child Soldiers Initiative is working to prevent children from being forced into armed military service. Next, to South Africa,

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 2013年VOA慢速英语(三)月

-I got a phone call. He told me that I want to introduce you to somebody very important.The Lebanese smuggler's ploting paid off. -Then Benjamin Y* introduced me to Issa. War criminal Issa Sesay controlled the diamond mines in Sierra Leone. He also r

发表于:2018-12-26 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 自然百科2013年

It is biting me he said, I want it, in no matter which way I want it. It is my love; it is my love. If some days pass, I don't see any of diamonds, I just try to look at pictures of rough diamonds. If today you tell me there is no diamond(s) on Earth

发表于:2018-12-26 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 自然百科2013年

To avoid UN sanctions, arest and heavy fines, he shifted the stones on the false documents. Carrier was right with cash in the bank at Antwerp and went back with rough diamonds hidden in their body cavities. Together they tracks the orgins of r* stor

发表于:2018-12-26 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 自然百科2013年

When detectives began looking for Lenonardo Natarbaktolo, his office was empty. His mobile phone went straight to voice mail. He had a jewelry shop in Itlay, but no registered home address in Antwerp, and no one had seen him since Friday before the c

发表于:2018-12-26 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 自然百科2013年

Abused Chimpanzees Find Home in Sierra Leone Wildlife Refuge For more than 20 years, the Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary has cared for abused chimpanzees and chimps whose mothers have died. Victims of the illegal wildlife trade, the animals often arriv

发表于:2019-01-03 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年VOA慢速英语(四)月

By Leah Krakinowski Diamond smuggling in West Africa has become a steady, almost untraceable source of funding for U.S.-listed terror groups like al-Qaida and Hezbollah, according to information disco

发表于:2019-01-03 / 阅读(53) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA2004(下)--世界经济

Burkina Faso's Compaore Claims Victory, Angers Opposition 布基纳法索总统龚保雷的获胜激怒反对派 Opposition candidates also say there was fraud, but that it's impossible to prove, accu

发表于:2019-01-03 / 阅读(109) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA2005(下)--国政军事聚焦

Goats Get a Capitol Hill Job While members of the U.S. Congress are on vacation this month, work continues around the U.S. Capitol. Not by Congressional aides, though. A herd of goats was set loose in the Historic Congressional Cemetery to clean up a

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 2013年VOA慢速英语(八)月

AS IT IS 2014-07-11 Health Ministers Meet in Emergency Ebola Conference 卫生部长召开埃博拉紧急会议 Health ministers from West African countries met in Ghana last week for emergency talks about the Ebola virus. The World Health Organizati

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年VOA慢速英语(七)月

AS IT IS 2015-04-25 Sierra Leone Dog Population Rising Because of Ebola Crisis 埃博拉导致塞拉利昂狗数量增加 The Ebola crisis in Sierra Leone has led to growing concern about another disease: rabies from wild dogs. Many owners fear their

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年VOA慢速英语(四)月

AS IT IS 2015-10-04 Drought Affecting Californias Sequoias 长期干旱影响加州的红杉 California continues to suffer under a historic drought. The state has received very little rainfallover the past four years. California is famous for its hu

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(103) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年VOA慢速英语(十)月

AS IT IS 2014-10-23 Ebola Survivors Speak Out about Their Experience 埃博拉幸存者讲述他们的遭遇 The number of Ebola cases continues rising. But there is some hope for those who survive the disease. Recently, a conference for Ebola surviv

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年VOA慢速英语(十)月

But let me split sub-Saharan Africa. 下面把撒哈拉以南非洲地区分解成各个国家。 Health is there and better health is up there. 分布靠上边的国家拥有更高的健康水平。 I can go here and I can split sub-Saharan Africa i

发表于:2019-01-18 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 TED演讲教育篇

For more on the president's trip and some of the issues following him to the Arctic, we turn to Robert Bryce. He's a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, and he has written widely on oil and gas and other energy industries. And Michael Brune, ex

发表于:2019-01-27 / 阅读(78) / 评论(0) 分类 PBS访谈环境系列

Students heading for Bunce Island, Sierra Leone Some former slave ports in Africa are now tourist destinations, but not Bunce Island in Sierra Leone. It's abandoned and its slave castle is in ruins. The British established Bunce Island as a slave por

发表于:2019-02-02 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(二月)

A 59-member Chinese team has arrived in Sierra Leone as China says it will continue to do its part to contain Ebola. The team will be based at the Sierra Leone-China Friendship Hospital, some 30 kilometers east of the capital city of Freetown. They w

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

By Naomi Schwarz Freetown 08 August 2007 Sierra Leone's leading presidential candidate, Vice President Solomon Berewa, boycotted country's first-ever pre-election debates. But the other six candidates were on hand and discussed employment, education,

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年VOA标准英语(八月)

模仿句子:Here in Sierra Leone, the country is still recovering from the effects of the Ebola outbreak, which is now officially over. And I'm on Lumley beach in Freetown where things certainly look they are now back to normal. 翻译:埃博拉疫

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英音模仿秀