迷你对话地道口语第54期:大吃一惊
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:迷你对话学地道口语
迷你对话:
A:John's father got married again.
约翰的父亲又结婚了。
B:Married whom?
他娶了谁?
A:If I tell you., you must be completely taken aback.
我要是告诉你,你一定会大吃一惊。
B:Come on. Tell me what happened.
快点说吧。说给我听发生了什么事情。
A:He married a girl who is only eighteen!
他娶了一位十八岁的女孩。
B:Is that true? But anyhow, it's none of our business, isn't it?
真的吗?但不管怎样,这不关我们的事,对吧?
习语解说:
be taken aback:大吃一惊
讲解:aback是副词,指“突然地”“淬不及防地”。Take sb aback意思是“把某个人弄得措手不及”,常用于被动语态中,则是be taken aback。
支持范例:
Eg.I was quite taken aback by the news.
这消息使我吓了一跳。
Eg.He was taken aback by the turn of events.
事件的发展令他措手不及。
Eg.He was taken aback, but he managed to remain calm.
他心里一惊, 但表面上却仍神色自若。
Eg.F. J. was taken aback as I described my confrontation 1 with Hollis.
琼斯听了我同霍利斯当面交锋的情况,吃了一惊。
词海拾贝:
none of one's business:与某人无关
Eg.It's none of my business, but I think you ought to work harder.
这事与我毫无关系,但我觉得你应更努力去工作。
Eg.I am quite clear about it. It's none of your business.
对此我很清楚,不必你来操心。
Eg.I am responsible for the matter. None of other's business.
这件事由我负责, 跟旁人不相干。
Eg.It' s none of your business, so please don' t butt 2 in.
此事与你无关,请勿介入。
- We can't risk another confrontation with the union.我们不能冒再次同工会对抗的危险。
- After years of confrontation,they finally have achieved a modus vivendi.在对抗很长时间后,他们最后达成安宁生存的非正式协议。