迷你对话学地道口语第55期:满腔怒火
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:迷你对话学地道口语
迷你对话:
A:What do you think of the plan for the new airport near here?
你觉得在这里附近建机场怎样?
B:Perhaps they should give it a second thought. The residents are getting up in arms about it.
也许我们得慎重考虑一下。这儿的居民对此非常气愤。
A:I think they will.
我想他们会的。
习语解说:
复数形式arms指“武器,兵器”,短语be up in arms意即“起来进行武装斗争,竭力反对”,比喻“激烈反抗”“强烈反抗”“强烈抗议”“满腔怒火” 等,其后接介词about或者是over。
支持范例:
Eg.There is no need to get up in arms over such a trifle.
用不着为了这么一点小事动火。
Eg.As soon as they heard the news, the Ford 1 dealers 2 were up in arms.
福特公司的承销商一听到这个消息,就起来反抗了。
Eg.Dad is up in arms because you used his car without asking for his permission.
你未经允许就用了了爸爸的汽车,这使他大为恼火。
Eg.Patrick was up in arms when he heard that his wife had been carrying on a clandestine 3 love affair.
当帕特里克听说他妻子在偷情时,十分恼怒。
Eg.The whole village be up in arms about the proposal to build an airport nearby.
全村强烈反对在附近修建机场的计划。
词海拾贝:
give sth a second thought:三思,再度考虑
Eg.The idea was preposterous 4 and I determined 5 not to give it a second thought.
这个想法太荒谬了,我决心不再想它了。
Eg.You had batter 6 give the matter a second thought.
你最好再想一想这件事。
初级句型:
What do you think of...?
你认为......如何?
Dialogue:
A:What do you think of this novel?
你觉得这部小说如何?
B:Not too bad.
还凑合。
Eg.What do you think of the old saying: "Spare the rod, spoil the child."?
你对"孩子不打不成器"这句老话怎么看?
Eg.What do you think of the Prime Minister's address to the nation ?
你认为首相对全国所作的演说如何?
- They were guarding the bridge,so we forded the river.他们驻守在那座桥上,所以我们只能涉水过河。
- If you decide to ford a stream,be extremely careful.如果已决定要涉过小溪,必须极度小心。
- There was fast bidding between private collectors and dealers. 私人收藏家和交易商急速竞相喊价。
- The police were corrupt and were operating in collusion with the drug dealers. 警察腐败,与那伙毒品贩子内外勾结。
- She is the director of clandestine operations of the CIA.她是中央情报局秘密行动的负责人。
- The early Christians held clandestine meetings in caves.早期的基督徒在洞穴中秘密聚会。
- The whole idea was preposterous.整个想法都荒唐透顶。
- It would be preposterous to shovel coal with a teaspoon.用茶匙铲煤是荒谬的。
- I have determined on going to Tibet after graduation.我已决定毕业后去西藏。
- He determined to view the rooms behind the office.他决定查看一下办公室后面的房间。