迷你对话学地道口语第48期:一贫如洗
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:迷你对话学地道口语
迷你对话:
A:Sam, we are hard up for the everyday expenses. When can you find a job.
Sam,我们已经穷得揭不开锅了。你什么时候才能找到工作呀?
B:I'm looking for it, but you see, the market ishard upfor jobs, too.
我正在找呀,可是你瞧,根本就没有哪里要人。
A:You liar 1, I saw you again in the inn. I bet you don't want to work at all.
你这个骗子,我看见你又进酒馆了。你根本就不想工作。
词海拾贝:
1.hard up:一贫如洗
讲解:该习语在口语中是“奇缺”,尤其是指“缺钱”。如果缺的是“钱以外”的东西,一般用hard up for。
支持范例:
Eg.Ever since I lost my job, I have been hard up.
自从失业后,我的手头很紧。
Eg.Sometimes, when they were very hard up, they sold something.
有时他们穷得实在过不下去了,只好卖掉些东西。
Eg.My parents were hard up during the 1930s but now they are well-off.
在三十年代,我的双亲经济拮据,但现在他们很富有。
Eg.If you are hard up, I can advance you some money.
你如果缺钱,我可以借贷一些钱给你。
2.hard up for:缺乏,缺少
Eg.She's hard up for ideas.
她想不出主意。
Eg.The company is hard up for new ideas.
这家公司缺乏新的构想。
Eg.The country is hard up for technicians and doctors.
乡村急需技术人员和医生。
3.in the inn:在酒馆里
4.not at all:一点也不,根本不
Eg.It's not at all certain.
那根本不能肯定。
Eg.It's not at all that bad.
这根本没有那么坏。
Eg.He is not at all alive to the danger he is in.
他完全没有意识到他处境的危险。
5.I bet...我肯定
Eg.I bet you will have a bright future if you work hard.
如果你努力学习,我敢肯定你将会有一个美好的未来。