迷你对话学地道口语第44期:所有行囊
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:迷你对话学地道口语
迷你对话:
A:Susan is going to get a divorce.
Susan要离婚了。
B:How do you know that?
你怎么知道的?
A:She told me that she has a quarrel last nigh, and she left this morning,bag and baggage.
她昨天告诉我和Peter吵了一架,今天早上就把东西全部带走了。
B:Oh, I see. But I think you are making a fuss. They will make it up. Bet it.
哦,我知道了。不过我觉得你有点大惊小怪了。他们会和好的。我确信。
地道表达:
bag and baggage
讲解:该习语为军事用语,指“士兵的随身行李和财物”。现在隐申为“带着全部东西,完全地,彻底地”。
支持范例:
Eg.Her tenant 1 left, bag and baggage, without paying the rent.
她的房客未付房租就带着全部财物离去了.
Eg.Last week he cleared out bag and baggage;the room is now quite empty.
上周他把所有东西都搬走了,那房子如今空空如也。
Eg.The house was vacated bag and baggage in a matter of hours.
这幢房子在几个小时里就全部腾出来了。
Eg.All right, if you won't pay the rent, out with you, bag and baggage!
好吧,要是你不付房租,就收拾起你的东西滚吧!
词海拾贝:
1.have a quarrel:吵架
Eg.He is good - nature and have never have a quarrel with anyone
他脾气很好,从不和任何人争吵
Eg.Every time you two have a quarrel the work gets delayed, and it's usually he who has to pick up the pieces.
每次你们俩吵架,总要把工作耽搁下来,而往往是他来收拾残局。
2.make a fuss:大惊小怪,小题大做
Eg.You shouldn't make all that fuss about so simple a matter.
这么简单的事,你不该那么大惊小怪。
Eg.Why do you always make a fuss over a trivial things?
只是点风吹草动, 你怎么就大做文章?
3.make up:和解
Eg.The separated couple couldn't make it up.
那对分居的夫妻不可能和解。
Eg.After their long argument the two brothers made it up.
长期争吵之后,兄弟俩终于和解了。
3.get a divorce:离婚
4.bet it:确信
Eg.You look great in these shoes. I bet it.
我敢肯定您穿着这双鞋真好看。
Eg.It's still in this room, I bet it. Let me help you find it.
我肯定它还在这间屋里。我帮你找。