美国语文第五册 第118期:高德夫人的演讲(4)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册
英语课
And a pretty example you set as a father! You'll make your boys as bad as yourself. 作为父亲,你的模范示范可真不赖!你让儿子们像你一样举止恶劣。
Talking as you did all breakfast time about your buttons! and of a Sunday morning, too! 每天早餐时间,学着你喋喋不休地大谈你的纽扣!甚至周日上午也不例外。
And you call yourself a Christian 1! I should like to know what your boys will say of you when they grow up! 你还竟然标榜自己为基督徒!我真想知道,孩子们成人后将如何议论你!
And all about a paltry 2 button off one of your wristbands! 所有话题没一样离开鸡毛蒜皮,包括你哪只袖口掉只纽扣啦,
A decent 3 man would n't have mentioned it. Why don't I hold my tongue? 举止优雅的绅士从来不屑谈这些鸡零狗碎。为什么我不住嘴?
Because I won't hold my tongue. 因为我不想住嘴!
I'm to have my peace of mind destroyed—I'm to be worried into my grave for a miserable 4 shirt button, and I'm to hold my tongue! 我就是想毁掉平和心态——我就是想哪怕为一只倒霉纽扣也恨不得愁得钻进坟墓。那么,就彻底闭嘴了!
Oh! but that's just like you men! 天呀!那才和你们这些男人一个鬼样!
But I know what I'll do for the future. 可是,我知道得为自己将来打算。
Every button you have may drop off, and I won't so much as put a thread to 'em. 你身上每粒纽扣可能都会掉落,我可不会那么心甘情愿地穿针弄线随时伺候,
And I should like to know what you'll do then! Oh, you must get somebody else to sew 'em, must you? 我还很乐意知道接下来你要做什么。噢,你一定要找其他女人给你缝,是不是?
That's a pretty threat for a husband to hold out to his wife! 那可是老公甩给老婆的杀手锏。
And to such a wife as I've been, too, such a slave to your buttons, as I may say. 像我这样老婆当然一样,不妨这样说,我不过是对付你纽扣的奴隶罢,
Somebody else to sew 'em'! No, Caudle, no; not while I'm alive! 会有其他女人给你缝的, 不,高德,不,只要我还活着,就不会有!
When I'm dead—and, with what I have to bear, there's no knowing how soon that may be when I 'm dead, I say—oh! what a brute 5 you must be to snore so! 如果我死了呢?——还需要忍受什么?没人知道还有多久——一旦快死了,我会说——天呀!你简直是个只会打呼噜的畜生!
You're not snoring? Ha! that's what you always say; but that's nothing to do with it. 你没有打呼噜?嘁!你总这样说,但所有一切全都无所谓了。
You must get somebody else to sew 'em, must you? Ha! I should n't wonder. 你肯定还要找其他女人过日子,是吗?嘁!我不该大惊小怪。
Oh, no! I should be surprised at nothing now! Nothing at all! 天呀!绝不!现在我对发生任何事情都不会吃惊。一点儿不会!
It's what people have always told me it would come to; and now the buttons have opened my eyes! 如同别人总是告诉我那样,该来的,一定会来;纽扣才让我看清这些!
But the whole world shall know of your cruelty, Mr. Caudle. After the wife I've been to you. 其实,所有应该了解的就是你的残忍,高德先生,和你结婚后,
Caudle, you've a heart like a hearthstone, you have! 高德,你简直就是铁石心肠。一点儿没错!
1 Christian
adj.基督教徒的;n.基督教徒
- They always addressed each other by their Christian name.他们总是以教名互相称呼。
- His mother is a sincere Christian.他母亲是个虔诚的基督教徒。
2 paltry
adj.无价值的,微不足道的
- The parents had little interest in paltry domestic concerns.那些家长对家里鸡毛蒜皮的小事没什么兴趣。
- I'm getting angry;and if you don't command that paltry spirit of yours.我要生气了,如果你不能振作你那点元气。
3 decent
adj.象样的,不错的,体面的,正派的,恰当的
- We want to raise our children to be decent men and women.我们盼望把孩子们培养成优秀人才。
- There isn't even a decent table in this room.这屋里连张像样的桌子也没有。