美国语文第四册 第192期:母亲的坟墓(2)
时间:2018-12-13 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
One day when I had lost my place in the class, I came home discouraged and fretful. 一天,因为考试不理想,我沮丧和烦躁地回到家里。
I went to my mother's chamber 1. 我走进母亲的房间。
She was paler than usual, but she met me with the same affectionate smile that always welcomed my return. 她比以前更显苍白,可是她一如往常带着亲切的微笑欢迎我回来。
Alas 2! when I look back through the lapse 3 of thirteen years, I think my heart must have been stone not to have been melted by it. 唉!十三年后回忆起来,我想当时我的心可能是石头做的才没被融化。
She requested me to go downstairs and bring her a glass of water. 她叫我下楼取一杯水。
I pettishly 4 asked her why she did not call a domestic to do it. 我怒气冲冲地说怎么不叫佣人去。
With a look of mild reproach, which I shall never forget if I live to be a hundred years old, 她略带责备地说,这种责备即使活一百岁我也不会忘记,
she said, "Will not my daughter bring a glass of water for her poor, sick mother?" 我的女儿不愿意给她生病的可怜母亲取杯水吗?
I went and brought her the water, but I did not do it kindly 5. 我心不甘情不愿地取来了水。
Instead of smiling, and kissing her as I had been wont 6 to do, I set the glass down very quickly, and left the room. 我没有对她笑,也没有像往常一样亲吻她,我放下杯子就离开了房间。
After playing a short time, I went to bed without bidding my mother good night; 在玩了一阵后,我上床了,没有和母亲说晚安;
but when alone in my room, in darkness and silence, I remembered how pale she looked, and how her voice trembled when she said, 可是当我独自一人在安静漆黑的房间里,我想起她脸色多么苍白,她的声音是多么颤抖,我无法入睡。
"Will not my daughter bring a glass of water for her poor, sick mother?" I could not sleep. 她说“我的女儿不愿意给她生病的可怜母亲取杯水吗?”
I stole into her chamber to ask forgiveness. 我偷偷走进她的房间请求她原谅我。
She had sunk into an easy slumber 7, and they told me I must not waken her. 可她已经睡着了,人们告诉我不能惊醒她。
1 chamber
n.房间,寝室;会议厅;议院;会所
- For many,the dentist's surgery remains a torture chamber.对许多人来说,牙医的治疗室一直是间受刑室。
- The chamber was ablaze with light.会议厅里灯火辉煌。
2 alas
int.唉(表示悲伤、忧愁、恐惧等)
- Alas!The window is broken!哎呀!窗子破了!
- Alas,the truth is less romantic.然而,真理很少带有浪漫色彩。
3 lapse
n.过失,流逝,失效,抛弃信仰,间隔;vi.堕落,停止,失效,流逝;vt.使失效
- The incident was being seen as a serious security lapse.这一事故被看作是一次严重的安全疏忽。
- I had a lapse of memory.我记错了。
4 pettishly
- \"Oh, no,'she said, almost pettishly, \"I just don't feel very good.\" “哦,不是,\"她说,几乎想发火了,\"我只是觉得不大好受。” 来自英汉文学 - 嘉莉妹妹
- Then he tossed the marble away pettishly, and stood cogitating. 于是他一气之下扔掉那个弹子,站在那儿沉思。 来自英汉文学 - 汤姆历险
5 kindly
adj.和蔼的,温和的,爽快的;adv.温和地,亲切地
- Her neighbours spoke of her as kindly and hospitable.她的邻居都说她和蔼可亲、热情好客。
- A shadow passed over the kindly face of the old woman.一道阴影掠过老太太慈祥的面孔。