英语PK台 第427期:十二生肖英语怎么说?
英语课
Dialogue 1 Year of the Chicken or Year of the Rooster?
对话1 鸡年是Chicken 还是 Rooster?
Jingjing: Long time, no see, Mark. Happy Year of the Rooster!
京晶:马克,好久不见!鸡年快乐!
Mark: It's great to see you, Jingjing. Happy New Year! Thanks for covering my extended vacation.
马克:见到你很高兴,京晶。新年快乐!谢谢在长假期间帮我代班。
Jingjing: I just hope you had a good chance to travel and relax during the holiday.
京晶:我只是希望你能利用假期好好旅游和放松一下。
Mark: For sure. By the way, I'm wondering if you think it's right to call it the year of the rooster or the year of the chicken.
马克:那必须的。对了,我想知道你认为应该称鸡年为“the year of the rooster”还是“the year of the chicken”。
Jingjing: Well, I've heard both in English. Of course, in Chinese, it's 鸡年(jīnián), which translates directly to chicken year.
京晶:哦,两种英文说法我都听说过。当然,中文是鸡年(jīnián),直接翻译成英文就是chicken year。
Mark: That's true for all 12 of the animals on the Chinese zodiac, isn't it? It's just the basic word for the animal.
马克:对中国十二生肖的动物来说都是直接这样翻译的,不是吗?只是翻译成该生肖在英文中对应的简单词。
Jingjing: Yes. It doesn't specify 1 male or female. 公鸡 (gōngjī) is the Chinese word for rooster. But we don't say 公鸡年 (gōngjīnián).
京晶:是的,并不具体指出是公的还是母的。rooster的中文是公鸡 (gōngjī),但是我们并不说公鸡年 (gōngjīnián)。
Mark: A lot of people think you should go with the word that sounds more majestic 2, like rooster, ram 3, or boar.
马克:许多人认为应该使用更雄伟一点的词,比如rooster(公鸡),ram(公羊)或者boar(公猪)。
Jingjing: Don't you think so also?
京晶:难道你不也这么认为吗?
Mark: I would, but a lot of the animals are just called by their basic names. It's kind of a stretch to look for a different word for a chicken that sounds majestic, when the same process would get people mixed up between a rat and a rabbit.
马克:我是这样认为的,但是很多生肖只是以简单的名字称呼。找一个更正式雄伟的词来称呼鸡似乎有点言过其实,因为这样做的话会让人搞混鼠和兔。
Jingjing: A male rabbit is called a buck 4, right?
京晶:公兔在英文中是buck,对吗?
Mark: Yeah, but nobody uses that word, unless they're breeding rabbits. If I said I saw a buck in the forest, people would think I saw a male deer.
马克:是的,但是没人用这个词,除非他们是繁殖兔。如果我说我在森林里看到一只buck,人们会认为我看到的是一只公鹿。
Jingjing: So, we should just stick with the basic names for animals.
京晶:所以,我们可以只用生肖的通俗名。
Mark: Yeah. Call a chicken a chicken.
马克:是的,称鸡为鸡。
Dialogue 2 The Chinese Zodiac Abroad
对话2 外国人也知道中国十二生肖吗?
Jingjing: I was wondering, Mark, do people outside of Asia use the Chinese zodiac very much?
京晶:马克,我想知道亚洲之外的其他国家的人经常使用中国十二生肖吗?
Mark: Most people know their own animal year.
马克:大部分人知道他们自己的生肖年。
Jingjing: Do you remember when you learned yours?
京晶:你记得你是什么时候知道你的生肖年的吗?
Mark: Yeah. I was in a Chinese restaurant in Vail, Colorado. We were waiting for our food and looking at the placemats, which had been printed with the Chinese zodiac.
马克:记得,那时我在在科罗拉多州韦尔的一家中国餐馆,我们一边等着上餐,一边看着餐具垫,中国十二生肖就印在餐具垫上。
Jingjing: Were you excited to learn about your animal year?
京晶:你知道了自己的生肖年时兴奋吗?
Mark: I was, because I'm a dragon. I was with my family. Some of my relatives were like, “oh, I'm a monkey,” or, “I didn't know I was a pig.”
马克:当然,因为我属龙。当时我和家人在一起,我的一些亲戚当时都是,“噢,我是属猴的”或者“我都不知道我是属猪的。”
Jingjing: Hold up. Monkeys and pigs are not seen as good animals in America?
京晶:等等。猴和猪在美国不被看作好的动物吗?
Mark: We don't have the legend of the Monkey King from Journey to the West there.
马克:我们那里没有西游记齐天大圣的传说。
Jingjing: What about pigs?
京晶:那猪呢?
Mark: They're thought of as sloppy 5 and lazy. But I understand that in China it's good fortune to be born in a year of the pig.
马克:他们被认为是粗心和懒惰的象征。但是我知道,在中国,出生在猪年象征着有福气。
Jingjing: You got it. You can expect to see a lot of pregnant 6 ladies when the year of the pig rolls around.
京晶:你懂的。当猪年到时,你会看到很多孕妇。
Mark: I can picture it now: dozens of soon-to-be mothers rolling around the shopping mall.
马克:我现在就可以想象到那场景:许多准妈妈们扎堆儿逛着商场。
Jingjing: You might steer 7 clear of the shopping mall that year, unless you're expecting.
京晶:那一年你可能想避开商场,除非你也怀孕了。
Mark: Yeah. It'll be a good year for online shopping!
马克:是的,那一年比较适合网购。
vt.指定,详细说明
- We should specify a time and a place for the meeting.我们应指定会议的时间和地点。
- Please specify what you will do.请你详述一下你将做什么。
adj.雄伟的,壮丽的,庄严的,威严的,崇高的
- In the distance rose the majestic Alps.远处耸立着雄伟的阿尔卑斯山。
- He looks majestic in uniform.他穿上军装显得很威风。
(random access memory)随机存取存储器
- 512k RAM is recommended and 640k RAM is preferred.推荐配置为512K内存,640K内存则更佳。
n.雄鹿,雄兔;v.马离地跳跃
- The boy bent curiously to the skeleton of the buck.这个男孩好奇地弯下身去看鹿的骸骨。
- The female deer attracts the buck with high-pitched sounds.雌鹿以尖声吸引雄鹿。
adj.邋遢的,不整洁的
- If you do such sloppy work again,I promise I'll fail you.要是下次作业你再马马虎虎,我话说在头里,可要给你打不及格了。
- Mother constantly picked at him for being sloppy.母亲不断地批评他懒散。
标签:
英语PK台