英语PK台 第413期:酸甜苦辣咸,味觉看性格
英语课
Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Ohh, I'm craving 1 some chocolate right now. Let's go to the store and get some.
京晶:哦,我现在特别馋巧克力。我们去商店买一些吧。
Mark: You're in luck. I just so happen to have some chocolate in my house. After all, Spring Festival is just around the corner.
马克:那你太幸运了,我家正好就有巧克力。毕竟,春节快要到啦。
Jingjing: You're the best. Gimme gimme gimme!
京晶:你太给力了。快给我给我给我!
Mark: Hold your horses. I have two different kinds of chocolate: dark and milk chocolate. Which do you prefer?
马克:稍安毋躁。我有两种不同类型的巧克力:黑巧克力和牛奶巧克力。你喜欢哪个?
Jingjing: Dark chocolate please! It's my favorite!
京晶:黑巧克力!这是我的最爱!
Mark: No problem, here you go. Just as I suspected.
马克:没问题,给你,跟我猜的一样。
Jingjing: What do you mean, just as you suspected?
京晶:跟你猜的一样?什么意思?
Mark: Don't you know? People who crave 2 dark chocolate tend to be social butterflies and the life of the party. That's definitely you!
马克:你难道不知道吗?喜欢黑巧克力的人往往都善于社交且受人瞩目。这绝对就是你啊!
Jingjing: So you're saying that the kinds of food people crave are related to their personalities 3?
京晶:所以你的意思是说人喜欢什么食物跟个性有关喽?
Mark: According to Dr. Alan Hirsch, yes. Over the past 25 years, he's examined almost 20,000 patients and found that there are some consistencies 4 about what we eat say about our personalities.
马克:根据艾伦·赫希医生的研究,确实是这样的。在过去的25年里,他检验了近2万例患者,发现人对食物的喜好和性格有一定的关联。
Jingjing: That's amazing. You know? Lately I've been kinda down in the dumps. Does that have anything to do with why I've been wanting chocolate too?
京晶:这太神奇了。你知道吗,最近我一直过得很糟糕。这是不是跟我一直想巧克力有关系?
Mark: It sure does. Chocolate is a known mood booster.
马克:肯定是。巧克力是公认的心情助推器。
Jingjing: Oh, well quick, gimme some of that chocolate. I wanna feel better!
京晶:哦,快,再给我一些巧克力。我想心情变好!
习语短语
crave=渴望,强烈愿望(通常用于食品)
You're in luck.=你很幸运,好消息; 事情对你有利。
just around the corner=指日可待,(时间和地点)非常接近
hold your horses=稍安毋躁,稍等片刻
social butterfly=交际花,擅于结交朋友的人
the life of the party=受人瞩目的人,很受欢迎的人
down in the dumps=伤心;情绪低落
mood booster=情绪助推器,让你感觉(情绪)更好的东西
Dialogue 2
Mark and Jingjing have just arrived at a restaurant. They are looking at the menu, deciding which type of food to order.
马克和京晶刚刚抵达餐厅。他们正在看菜单,决定吃什么。
Mark: Man, I just can't make up my mind. So many things on this menu look delicious.
马克:天啊,我不知道怎么决定。菜单上有这么多东西都看起来很好吃的样子。
Jingjing: Can I make a suggestion? Try these two dishes. I think you'll like them.
京晶:我可以提个建议吗?试试这两道菜。我想你会喜欢的。
Mark: Hmmm. That does sound pretty good. I think I'll give it a try.
马克:嗯。看起来很不错。我来试试看。
Jingjing: See. I read your mind. Do you know why I chose these two dishes for you?
京晶:看吧?我能看透你的心。你知道我为什么选择了这两道菜给你吗?
Mark: Not a clue.
马克:不知道啊。
Jingjing: One of them is sweet, the other is salty. People who crave sweet and salty dishes tend to be loners. But don't get upset! They're also really creative.
京晶:它们其中一个是甜的,另一种是咸的。一般独来独往的人爱吃甜咸口。但是,不要生气!他们也很有创意。
Mark: Hey, how did you know that?
马克:嘿,你怎么会知道?
Jingjing: I did my homework. Plus, we are best friends. I can read you like a book.
京晶:我研究过啊。况且我们是最好的朋友。我可以非常准确地看透你的想法和感受。
Mark: That's not fair!
马克:这不公平!
Jingjing: Also, people who like sweet and salty foods are often misunderstood as being standoffish. Now that's definitely you!
京晶:此外,爱吃甜咸口的人经常被人误解为很冷淡。这绝对说的就是你!
Mark: Tell me some more!
马克:你再仔细说说!
Jingjing: Well, people who crave only salty flavors tend to go with the flow, and let the outside world determine their fate.
京晶:嗯,只喜欢咸味的人倾向于随大流,让外界决定他们的命运。
Mark: How about spicy 5 foods?
马克:那喜欢吃辣的人呢?
Jingjing: People who crave spicy foods tend to dislike order and wasting time.
京晶:爱吃辣的人往往不喜欢遵守秩序和浪费时间。
Mark: Okay, enough talking. My stomach's growling 6. Waiter! We're ready to order!
马克:好吧,说得我肚子都咕咕叫了。服务员!点菜!
习语短语
make up one's mind=决定做某事
to read one's mind=看透一个人的内心,非常准确地猜测对方的想法或感受
not a clue=不知道
loner=独来独往的人,花很多时间独处的人
I did my homework.=我做了功课,我研究了这个问题。
read someone like a book=同“read one's mind”,清楚地了解某人的动机(思想等)
standoffish=高冷的,不友好的
go with the flow=随大流
My stomach's growling.=我的肚子都咕咕叫了,我饿极了。
n.渴望,热望
- a craving for chocolate 非常想吃巧克力
- She skipped normal meals to satisfy her craving for chocolate and crisps. 她不吃正餐,以便满足自己吃巧克力和炸薯片的渴望。
vt.渴望得到,迫切需要,恳求,请求
- Many young children crave attention.许多小孩子渴望得到关心。
- You may be craving for some fresh air.你可能很想呼吸呼吸新鲜空气。
n. 诽谤,(对某人容貌、性格等所进行的)人身攻击; 人身攻击;人格, 个性, 名人( personality的名词复数 )
- There seemed to be a degree of personalities in her remarks.她话里有些人身攻击的成分。
- Personalities are not in good taste in general conversation.在一般的谈话中诽谤他人是不高尚的。
一致性( consistency的名词复数 ); 连贯性; 坚实度; 浓度
- There are inherent consistencies and relations of ideal methodology between philosophy of science and western economics. 科学哲学和西方经济学之间存在着内在一致性和思想方法论关联。
标签:
英语PK台