英语听书《白鲸记》第314期
英语课
He's got enough, though, to make up for all deficiencies of that sort in other chaps, abruptly 1 said the stranger, placing a nervous emphasis upon the word he. 不过,他在找别的一些人补足全部缺额方面,已经找足了,那个陌生人冲口而出地说,在他字上加重了语气。
Queequeg, said I, let's go; this fellow has broken loose from somewhere; he's talking about something and somebody we don't know. 魁魁格,我说,咱们走吧;这家伙一定是从什么地方逃出来的;他在讲什么东西,说哪一个人,我们都弄不清楚。
Stop! cried the stranger. Ye said true--ye hav'n't seen Old Thunder yet, have ye? 站住!那陌生人嚷了起来。你说得对。你还没有看到老雷公吧,是吗?
Who's Old Thunder? said I, again riveted 2 with the insane earnestness of his manner. 哪一个是老雷公?我说,又注意到他那似疯如真的态度。
Captain Ahab. 亚哈船长。
What! the captain of our ship, the Pequod? 什么!我们那只裴廓德号,的船长?
Aye, among some of us old sailor chaps, he goes by that name. Ye hav'n't seen him yet, have ye? 是呀,在我们一些老水手里头,有些人是这么叫他的。你们还没有见到他,是吧?
No, we hav'n't. He's sick they say, but is getting better, and will be all right again before long. 没有,我们还没有见到他。据说他生病了,不过已经好些了,不久就会痊愈。
All right again before long! laughed the stranger, with a solemnly derisive 3 sort of laugh. 不久就会痊愈!那陌生人哈哈大笑,是一种板着脸的嘲弄的大笑。
Look ye; when Captain Ahab is all right, then this left arm of mine will be all right; not before. 你瞧着吧;要是亚哈船长会痊愈,那么我这只左胳膊也会立刻好啦。
What do you know about him? 你知道他是怎样一个人么?
What did they tell you about him? Say that! 他们对你讲过他一些什么来着?你说!
They didn't tell much of anything about him; only I've heard that he's a good whale-hunter, and a good captain to his crew. 他们并没有讲他什么;我只知道他是个捕鲸能手,对他的水手说来,也是一个好船长。
That's true, that's true-yes, both true enough. But you must jump when he gives an order. Step and growl 4; growl and go-that's the word with Captain Ahab. 这都是实在的,这都是实在的。不错,全都是实在的。不过他一发命令,你就一定会跳起来。跨一步,咆哮一声;咆哮一声,走一步。人们说亚哈船长就是这样。
But nothing about that thing that happened to him off Cape 5 Horn, long ago, when he lay like dead for three days and nights; 可是一点也没有提到好久以前在合恩角所发生的事,提到他象死人一样躺了三天三夜;
nothing about that deadly skrimmage with the Spaniard afore the altar in Santa?-heard nothing about that, eh? 一点也没有提到他在圣塔的圣殿前跟西班牙人的恶斗么?
adv.突然地,出其不意地
- He gestured abruptly for Virginia to get in the car.他粗鲁地示意弗吉尼亚上车。
- I was abruptly notified that a half-hour speech was expected of me.我突然被通知要讲半个小时的话。
铆接( rivet的过去式和过去分词 ); 把…固定住; 吸引; 引起某人的注意
- I was absolutely riveted by her story. 我完全被她的故事吸引住了。
- My attention was riveted by a slight movement in the bushes. 我的注意力被灌木丛中的轻微晃动吸引住了。
adj.嘲弄的
- A storm of derisive applause broke out.一阵暴风雨般的哄笑声轰然响起。
- They flushed,however,when she burst into a shout of derisive laughter.然而,当地大声嘲笑起来的时候,她们的脸不禁涨红了。
v.(狗等)嗥叫,(炮等)轰鸣;n.嗥叫,轰鸣
- The dog was biting,growling and wagging its tail.那条狗在一边撕咬一边低声吼叫,尾巴也跟着摇摆。
- The car growls along rutted streets.汽车在车辙纵横的街上一路轰鸣。
标签:
白鲸记