英语听书《白鲸记》第300期
英语课
I say, Queequeg! why don't you speak? It's I-Ishmael. But all remained still as before. 喂,魁魁格,你为什么不说话?是我呀...以实玛利。但是,还是跟刚才一样,毫无声响。
I began to grow alarmed. I had allowed him such abundant time; I thought he might have had an apoplectic 1 fit. 我开始慌张起来了。我已听他待在里边这么久了;我想他可能已经中了风。
I looked through the key-hole; but the door opening into an odd corner of the room, the key-hole prospect 2 was but a crooked 3 and sinister 4 one. 我从钥匙孔往里张看;但是,因为那扇门开在房间的僻角里,从钥匙孔所能看到的只是左边的一只拐角。
I could only see part of the foot-board of the bed and a line of the wall, but nothing more. 我只能望到床铺的一部分踏脚板和一段墙壁,别的就什么都看不见了。
I was surprised to behold 5 resting against the wall the wooden shaft 6 of Queequeg's harpoon 7, 我冷不防看到魁魁格那支倚在墙上的标枪木柄,
which the landlady 8 the evening previous had taken from him, before our mounting to the chamber 9. 这东西昨天晚上我们进房前,本来已经让老板娘从魁魁格手里拿掉了。
That's strange, thought I; 这倒奇怪,我想;
but at any rate, since the harpoon stands yonder, and he seldom or never goes abroad without it, therefore he must be inside here, and no possible mistake. 但是,无论如何,既然标枪倚在那里,他又难得不带标枪就出门的,那他准在房里,一点也错不了。
Queequeg!-Queequeg!-all still. Something must have happened. Apoplexy! I tried to burst open the door; 魁魁格!...魁魁格!还是寂静无声。一定出了事啦。中风!我想冲开房门;
but it stubbornly resisted. Running down stairs, I quickly stated my suspicions to the first person I met-the chamber-maid. 可它关得铁实,硬是撞不开。我连忙奔下楼去,把我心里的怀疑对首先碰到的人...那个女佣人说。
La! la! she cried, I thought something must be the matter. 不得了!不得了啦!她哇地叫了起来,我想一定出了什么事。
I went to make the bed after breakfast, and the door was locked; and not a mouse to be heard; and it's been just so silent ever since. 吃过早饭后我想去收拾床铺,房门却锁起了;一只老鼠的声响也听不到;后来就一直这么无声无息。
But I thought, may be, you had both gone off and locked your baggage in for safe keeping. La! La, ma'am!-Mistress! murder! Mrs. 不过,我心想,不定你们俩都出去了,为了谨慎,把行李锁在房间里。不得了!不得了啦,太太...老板娘!人命案子!
Hussey! apoplexy!-and with these cries she ran towards the kitchen, I following. 胡赛太太!中风啦!她就这样叫叫嚷嚷地往厨房奔去,我跟在她后头走去。
Mrs. Hussey soon appeared, with a mustard-pot in one hand and a vinegar-cruet in the other, 胡赛太太立刻就出现了,她一手拿着一只芥末罐,一手拿着一只醋瓶子,
having just broken away from the occupation of attending to the castors, and scolding her little black boy meantime. 看样子,正打断了她一边料理调味瓶,一边咒骂她那黑小孩的话儿。
adj.中风的;愤怒的;n.中风患者
- He died from a stroke of apoplexy.他死于中风。
- My father was apoplectic when he discovered the truth.我父亲在发现真相后勃然大怒。
n.前景,前途;景色,视野
- This state of things holds out a cheerful prospect.事态呈现出可喜的前景。
- The prospect became more evident.前景变得更加明朗了。
adj.弯曲的;不诚实的,狡猾的,不正当的
- He crooked a finger to tell us to go over to him.他弯了弯手指,示意我们到他那儿去。
- You have to drive slowly on these crooked country roads.在这些弯弯曲曲的乡间小路上你得慢慢开车。
adj.不吉利的,凶恶的,左边的
- There is something sinister at the back of that series of crimes.在这一系列罪行背后有险恶的阴谋。
- Their proposals are all worthless and designed out of sinister motives.他们的建议不仅一钱不值,而且包藏祸心。
v.看,注视,看到
- The industry of these little ants is wonderful to behold.这些小蚂蚁辛勤劳动的样子看上去真令人惊叹。
- The sunrise at the seaside was quite a sight to behold.海滨日出真是个奇景。
n.(工具的)柄,杆状物
- He was wounded by a shaft.他被箭击中受伤。
- This is the shaft of a steam engine.这是一个蒸汽机主轴。
n.鱼叉;vt.用鱼叉叉,用鱼叉捕获
- The harpoon drove deep into the body of the whale.渔叉深深地扎进鲸鱼体内。
- The fisherman transfixed the shark with a harpoon.渔夫用鱼叉刺住鲨鱼。
n.女房东,女地主
- I heard my landlady creeping stealthily up to my door.我听到我的女房东偷偷地来到我的门前。
- The landlady came over to serve me.女店主过来接待我。
标签:
白鲸记