英国语文第三册 第51期:会反弹的石头(下)
时间:2019-02-21 作者:英语课 分类:英国语文第三册
英语课
In the course of the day, I thought I would try my skill upon her. 那一整天,我都想捉弄一下它。
She sat upon a post near the spot where she was to build her nest, and looked at me trustfully, as much as to say, 它在它以前经常筑巢的地方停落,信任地看着我,好像在说
'You won't hurt me?' I found a nice stone, and, poising 1 my arm, I threw it with my utmost skill. “你不会伤害我吧?”我找到一个很合适的石头,摆好姿势,全力向哪只鸟扔去,
It struck the bird on the head, and she dropped dead! 砸中了了鸟头,随后它掉落在地,死了!
I was sorry the moment I saw her fall. But the deed was done. 看到它被打落的那一瞬间我很遗憾,但事情已经这样了。
All day long her mate flew about, and chirped 2 in tones so sad, that he made my heart ache. 一整天它的伙伴都在上面飞来飞去,对在石头哀鸣,我的心很痛。
Why had I taken a life so innocent,and made the poor mate grieve so? 我为什么就这样结束了一条无辜的生命以至于让它的同伴悲伤至此?
I said nothing to the old people about it. But, through a grandchild, they found it out; 我什么都没对老夫妇说。但是他们的孙子告诉了他们,
and, though they never said a word to me on the matter, I knew that they mourned for the bird, and were deeply grieved at my cruelty. 虽然他们并未因此对我大加指责,我知道他们在为那只鸟默哀,并对我的残忍痛心不已。
I could never look them in the face afterwards as I had done before. Oh, that I had told them how sorry I was! 我之后再也不敢像从前一样正眼看他们。噢,我对他们说我是多么抱歉!
They have been dead many, many years, and so has the poor bird; but don't you see how that stone rebounded 4 and hit me? 他们死了很多年了,那只可怜的鸟也一样;但是你们没看到我因此受到了什么样的惩罚吗?
How deep a wound it made upon my memory!—how deep upon my conscience! 这在我的记忆深处永远是个痛!——我的良心受到了多么强烈的谴责!
Why, my dear boys, I would give a great deal today if I could undo 5 that deed! 为什么,亲爱的孩子们,如果我当初没那样做,我今天也不会说这些了!
For fifty years I have carried it in my memory. I have never spoken of it before; 五十年来,我一直不曾忘记这件事。我之前从未对人提起过;
yet if what I have now said shall prevent you from throwing a stone that may rebound 3 and deeply wound your conscience, I shall rejoice. 但是如果我说的话能让你们放过那只鸟,以免受到石头的反弹伤害,我会是多么高兴。
The boys at once dropped the stones they had in their hands, and the bird had no more trouble from them. 男孩们马上扔掉了手中的石头,从此再也不找那只鸟的麻烦。
使平衡( poise的现在分词 ); 保持(某种姿势); 抓紧; 使稳定
- The dynamic poising of the watch-balance enhances the performance of each movement. 腕表平衡摆轮的动态性能决定了机芯的性能。
- Also has the poising action to the blood sugar. 对血糖还具有双向平衡作用。
鸟叫,虫鸣( chirp的过去式 )
- So chirped fiber gratings have broad reflection bandwidth. 所以chirped光纤光栅具有宽的反射带宽,在反射带宽内具有渐变的群时延等其它类型的光纤光栅所不具备的特点。
- The crickets chirped faster and louder. 蟋蟀叫得更欢了。
v.弹回;n.弹回,跳回
- The vibrations accompanying the rebound are the earth quake.伴随这种回弹的振动就是地震。
- Our evil example will rebound upon ourselves.我们的坏榜样会回到我们自己头上的。
弹回( rebound的过去式和过去分词 ); 反弹; 产生反作用; 未能奏效
- The ball rebounded from the goalpost and Owen headed it in. 球从门柱弹回,欧文头球将球攻进。
- The ball rebounded from his racket into the net. 球从他的球拍上弹回网中。