英语听书《白鲸记》第843期
英语课
and, flukes first, the white hump backed through the wreck 1, as though it was all chips. 于是,它尾巴一甩,那白色的背峰往后朝那只破艇一冲,仿佛那只小艇全是一堆木屑。
We all struck out. 我们都给摔出去了。
To escape his terrible flailings, I seized hold of my harpoon-pole sticking in him, and for a moment clung to that like a sucking fish. 为了逃避它那可怕的打击,我紧抓着那支插在它身上的标枪柄,一时间我就象条小鱼似的紧紧扳住了标枪柄。
But a combing sea dashed me off, and at the same instant, the fish, taking one good dart 2 forwards, went down like a flash; 但是,一阵浪花把我冲了开去,就在这时,那条大鲸,朝前猛劲一冲,一阵闪电似的唰地潜进海里去了;
and the barb 3 of that cursed second iron towing along near me caught me here" (clapping his hand just below his shoulder); 那支第二次投出去的该死的标枪钩就在我旁边荡着,把我这地方扎住了。"(他的手对准着自己的肩膀下端拍答一敲)
"yes, caught me just here, I say, and bore me down to Hell's flames, I was thinking; when, when, all of a sudden, thank the good God, "是呀,我说就在这地方把我扎住了,当时,我心里在想,这就要把我拖到海龙王那里去啦,不料,不料就在这时,忽然间,感谢老天爷,
the barb ript its way along the flesh— clear along the whole length of my arm—came out nigh my wrist, and up I floated; 那标枪钩顺着皮肉直扯下来——循着我整只臂膀扯下来——直扯到我的肘腕,于是,我浮起来了;
and that gentleman there will tell you the rest (by the way, captain—Dr. Bunger, ship's surgeon: Bunger, my lad,— the captain). 其余的,那位先生会说给你听(顺便介绍一下,船长——这位是彭格医生,船医;彭格,老朋友,——这位是船长)。
Now, Bunger boy, spin your part of the yarn 4." 那么,彭格老兄,你就讲你那部分的故事吧。"
The professional gentleman thus familiarly pointed 5 out, had been all the time standing 6 near them, with nothing specific visible, to denote his gentlemanly rank on board. 经过这样亲切介绍出来的这位专家先生,一直就站在他们旁边,其实,不必说明,也一眼叫人看出他是船上一个绅士之类的人物。
His face was an exceedingly round but sober one; he was dressed in a faded blue woollen frock or shirt, and patched trowsers; 他的脸非常圆,显得很严肃;身穿一件褪色的蓝绒外衣或者衬衫,一条缀有补丁的裤子;
and had thus far been dividing his attention between a marlingspike he held in one hand, 他的注意力一直在一会儿望望这只手拿的解索针,
and a pill-box held in the other, occasionally casting a critical glance at the ivory limbs of the two crippled captains. 一会儿又望望另一只手拿的丸药盒,偶尔也以鉴赏的眼色瞟一瞟这两个残废船长的骨头手脚。
n.失事,遇难;沉船;vt.(船等)失事,遇难
- Weather may have been a factor in the wreck.天气可能是造成这次失事的原因之一。
- No one can wreck the friendship between us.没有人能够破坏我们之间的友谊。
v.猛冲,投掷;n.飞镖,猛冲
- The child made a sudden dart across the road.那小孩突然冲过马路。
- Markov died after being struck by a poison dart.马尔科夫身中毒镖而亡。
n.(鱼钩等的)倒钩,倒刺
- The barb of his wit made us wince.他那锋芒毕露的机智使我们退避三舍。
- A fish hook has a barb to prevent the fish from escaping after being hooked.鱼钩上都有一个倒钩以防上了钩的鱼逃走。
n.纱,纱线,纺线;奇闻漫谈,旅行轶事
- I stopped to have a yarn with him.我停下来跟他聊天。
- The basic structural unit of yarn is the fiber.纤维是纱的基本结构单元。
adj.尖的,直截了当的
- He gave me a very sharp pointed pencil.他给我一支削得非常尖的铅笔。
- She wished to show Mrs.John Dashwood by this pointed invitation to her brother.她想通过对达茨伍德夫人提出直截了当的邀请向她的哥哥表示出来。
标签:
白鲸记