英语听书《白鲸记》第844期
But, at his superior's introduction of him to Ahab, he politely bowed, and straightway went on to do his captain's bidding. 不过,听到他的上司把他介绍给亚哈后,他有礼貌地鞠一个躬,就立刻照他船长的吩咐说下去了。
It was a shocking bad wound, began the whale-surgeon; "and, taking my advice, Captain Boomer here, stood our old Sammy-" 那真是一个非常怕人的伤口,这个捕鲸船医说开了;"不过,这位布默船长接受了我的劝告后,把我们的老撒米(撒米——撒母耳的爱称。)驶到——"
Samuel Enderby is the name of my ship, interrupted the one-armed captain, addressing Ahab; "go on, boy." 撒母耳·恩德比是我们的船名,这个独臂船长插一下嘴,对亚哈说;"说下去吧,朋友。"
Stood our old Sammy off to the northward 1, to get out of the blazing hot weather there on the Line. 把我们的老撒米向北驶去,以便逃出赤道线上那火热的天气,
But it was no use—I did all I could; sat up with him nights; was very severe with him in the matter of diet- 可是,没有用——虽然我尽了我的全力;夜夜陪着他;在饮食方面也对他十分严格——
Oh, very severe! chimed in the patient himself; then suddenly altering his voice, "Drinking hot rum toddies with me every night, 啊,十分严格!病人自己唱和了一声后,又突然改变声调说,"他每天晚上跟我一起喝柠檬威士忌热甜酒,
till he couldn't see to put on the bandages; and sending me to bed, half seas over, about three o'clock in the morning. 直喝得他眼色模糊、无法给我上绷带,才把我送上床去,可已经驶过了半个海洋,将近凌晨三点钟了。
Oh, ye stars! he sat up with me indeed, and was very severe in my diet. 天哪!他可真是陪着我,对我的食物十分严格!
Oh! a great watcher, and very dietetically severe, is Dr. Bunger. 彭格医生呀!真是个了不起的伴夜人,在饮食上十分严格。
(Bunger, you dog, laugh out! why don't ye? You know you're a precious jolly rascal 2.) (彭格,你这狗仔,笑呀!为什么不笑?你知道,你是个最有趣不过的流氓。)
But, heave ahead, boy, I'd rather be killed by you than kept alive by any other man." 不过,扯下去吧,朋友,我倒宁可让你给治死,也不愿让别人救活。"
My captain, you must have ere this perceived, respected sir— said the imperturbable 3 godly-looking Bunger, slightly bowing to Ahab: 可敬的先生,你一定早就看出我们的船长。——那个沉着而一本正经的彭格敷衍地向亚哈微微地点点头,说:
"is apt to be facetious 4 at times; he spins us many clever things of that sort. "是个常常善于逗人发笑的人;他老给我们说出类似的许多妙事。
- He pointed his boat northward.他将船驶向北方。
- I would have a chance to head northward quickly.我就很快有机会去北方了。
- If he had done otherwise,I should have thought him a rascal.如果他不这样做,我就认为他是个恶棍。
- The rascal was frightened into holding his tongue.这坏蛋吓得不敢往下说了。
- Thomas,of course,was cool and aloof and imperturbable.当然,托马斯沉着、冷漠,不易激动。
- Edward was a model of good temper and his equanimity imperturbable.爱德华是个典型的好性子,他总是沉着镇定。