英语听书《白鲸记》第831期
英语课
Yet, oh, the great sun is no fixture 1; and if, at midnight, we would fain snatch some sweet solace 2 from him, we gaze for him in vain! 然而,啊,伟大的太阳可不是始终屹立不动的;如果在午夜时分,我们真想从它那里获取一点温存的安慰的话,那就是望穿了眼,也是徒劳的!
This coin speaks wisely, mildly, truly, but still sadly to me. 这块金币表现得真聪明、柔顺、忠实,可是在我看来,还是有点忧伤。
I will quit it, lest Truth shake me falsely." 我得赶紧离开它,否则,真理倒要变成谎言了。"
There now's the old Mogul, soliloquized Stubb by the try-works, "he's been twigging it; 瞧那老蒙兀儿,斯塔布在炼油间旁边自言自语道,"他刚才已经看明白了;
and there goes Starbuck from the same, and both with faces which I should say might be somewhere within nine fathoms 3 long. 斯达巴克也是为了这才去的,可是,他们两个人的脸儿呀,我敢说,都大约拉得有三十六英尺长。
And all from looking at a piece of gold, which did I have it now on Negro Hill or in Corlaer's Hook, I'd not look at it very long ere spending it. 这都是因为看了那块金币的缘故,如果我在黑人山或者在柯尔拉尔岬找到这块东西的话,我准不会瞧它好久,马上把它拿去花掉。
Humph! in my poor, insignificant 4 opinion, I regard this as queer. 哼!照我的微不足道的鄙见看来,这就是一种怪事。
I have seen doubloons before now in my voyagings; your doubloons of old Spain, your doubloons of Peru, your doubloons of Chili 5, your doubloons of Bolivia, 我在以前的多次航行中,早就看到过好些种杜柏仑;你们那些古西班牙的杜柏仑,秘鲁的杜柏仑,智利的杜柏仑,玻利维亚的杜柏仑,
your doubloons of Popayan; with plenty of gold moidores and pistoles, and joes, and half joes, and quarter joes. 波巴扬(南美哥伦比亚的一个城市。)的杜柏仑,还看到许多金蒙伊多尔(葡萄牙旧金币名。),比斯多(西班牙的旧金币名。),约伊(英国对于值四个便士的银元的称呼。),半个约伊,四分之一的约伊。
What then should there be in this doubloon of the Equator that is so killing 6 wonderful? 那么,这种厄瓜多尔的杜柏仑居然有这么了不起?
By Golconda! let me read it once. Halloa! here's signs and wonders truly! 乖乖!让我也去看它一看吧。啊!这倒真是奇迹!
That, now, is what old Bowditch in his Epitome 7 calls the zodiac, and what my almanack below calls ditto. 那么,这大概就是波狄奇老头在他那本《概论》里管它叫黄道的东西,也就是我放在下面那本历书上同样管它叫黄道的东西吧。
n.固定设备;预定日期;比赛时间;定期存款
- Lighting fixture must be installed at once.必须立即安装照明设备。
- The cordless kettle may now be a fixture in most kitchens.无绳电热水壶现在可能是多数厨房的固定设备。
n.安慰;v.使快乐;vt.安慰(物),缓和
- They sought solace in religion from the harshness of their everyday lives.他们日常生活很艰难,就在宗教中寻求安慰。
- His acting career took a nosedive and he turned to drink for solace.演艺事业突然一落千丈,他便借酒浇愁。
英寻( fathom的名词复数 )
- The harbour is four fathoms deep. 港深为四英寻。
- One bait was down forty fathoms. 有个鱼饵下沉到四十英寻的深处。
adj.无关紧要的,可忽略的,无意义的
- In winter the effect was found to be insignificant.在冬季,这种作用是不明显的。
- This problem was insignificant compared to others she faced.这一问题与她面临的其他问题比较起来算不得什么。
n.辣椒
- He helped himself to another two small spoonfuls of chili oil.他自己下手又加了两小勺辣椒油。
- It has chocolate,chili,and other spices.有巧克力粉,辣椒,和其他的调味品。
n.巨额利润;突然赚大钱,发大财
- Investors are set to make a killing from the sell-off.投资者准备清仓以便大赚一笔。
- Last week my brother made a killing on Wall Street.上个周我兄弟在华尔街赚了一大笔。
标签:
白鲸记