英语听书《白鲸记》第832期
英语课
I'll get the almanack; and as I have heard devils can be raised with Daboll's arithmetic, 让我去把那本历书拿来瞧一瞧;我还听到人家说,用达波耳的数学还推算得出魔鬼来呢,
I'll try my hand at raising a meaning out of these queer curvicues here with the Massachusetts calendar. 我倒要试试看,能否用这本马萨诸塞的历本打这些古怪的弯弯曲曲的记号中推算出个道理来。
Here's the book. Let's see now. 啊,历书来了,让我们来看一看。
Signs and wonders; and the sun, he's always among 'em. Hem 1, hem, hem; here they are— here they go—all alive: 奇迹;太阳老是在那里面。唔,唔,唔;有啦——在这里——全都在这里:
Aries, or the Ram 2; Taurus, or the Bull and Jimimi! here's Gemini himself, or the Twins. 白羊宫或者叫做羊座;金牛宫或者叫做金牛座!啊,这就是双子宫或者叫做双子星座了。
Well; the sun he wheels among 'em. 啊,太阳始终在它们里面滚来滚去。
Aye, here on the coin he's just crossing the threshold between two of twelve sitting-rooms all in a ring. 而且,在这块金币上,太阳正在跨进一串十二星宫中的二只星宫间的门槛。
Book! you lie there; the fact is, you books must know your places. 历书呀!你在吹大牛啦,事实上,你们这些书呀,一定要知道自己所处的地位。
You'll do to give us the bare words and facts, but we come in to supply the thoughts. 你们应该给我们说出明白的话句和事实,由我们来动脑筋。
That's my small experience, so far as the Massachusetts calendar, and Bowditch's navigator, and Daboll's arithmetic go. 就马萨诸塞的历本,波狄奇的航海术,和达波耳的数学看来,这就是我的一点小经验。
Signs and wonders, eh? Pity if there is nothing wonderful in signs, and significant in wonders! 是奇迹么?如果根本就毫无奇迹又毫无了不起的什么,那才可怜呀!
There's a clue somewhere; wait a bit; hist—hark! By Jove, I have it! 一定还有什么线索;停一停;嘘——听!千真万确,我想到啦!
Look you, Doubloon, your zodiac here is the life of man in one round chapter; and now I'll read it off, straight out of the book. 你听着,杜柏仑,你那上面的黄道呀,原来就是一整篇人类生活史;现在就让我直接从历书里念出来吧。
Come, Almanack! To begin: there's Aries, or the Ram— lecherous 3 dog, he begets 4 us; then, Taurus, or the Bull— he bumps us the first thing; 来,历书!念吧:这是白羊宫或者叫做羊座——使我们降世的就是这只淫荡的狗仔;接着就是金牛宫或者叫做金牛座——它首先打伤了我们;
n.贴边,镶边;vt.缝贴边;(in)包围,限制
- The hem on her skirt needs sewing.她裙子上的褶边需要缝一缝。
- The hem of your dress needs to be let down an inch.你衣服的折边有必要放长1英寸。
(random access memory)随机存取存储器
- 512k RAM is recommended and 640k RAM is preferred.推荐配置为512K内存,640K内存则更佳。
adj.好色的;淫邪的
- Her husband was described in court as a lecherous scoundrel.她的丈夫在法庭上被描绘成一个好色的无赖。
- Men enjoy all the beautiful bones,but do not mistake him lecherous.男人骨子里全都喜欢美女,但千万别误以为他好色。
标签:
白鲸记