英语听书《白鲸记》第836期
英语课
He too has been watching all of these interpreters myself included— and look now, he comes to read, with that unearthly idiot 1 face. 他也在看着所有这些解释天书的人——包括我在内——唔,瞧着,他在念起来了,那张天下无比的蠢脸。
Stand away again and hear him. Hark! 那么,再站开些,听听他吧。听着!
I look, you look, he looks; we look, ye look, they look. 我瞧,你瞧,他瞧;我们瞧,你们瞧,他们瞧。
Upon my soul, he's been studying Murray's Grammar! Improving his mind, poor fellow! But what's that he says now—hist! 我保准,他一直在研究默里(美国语法家)的《语法》呢!可怜的家伙,他正在增进他的知识——但是,他这会儿在说些什么呀——嘘!
I look, you look, he looks; we look, ye look, they look. 我瞧,你瞧,他瞧;我们瞧,你们瞧,他们瞧。
Why, he's getting it by heart—hist! again. 唔,他在死背呢——嘘!又在念啦。
I look, you look, he looks; we look, ye look, they look. Well, that's funny. 我瞧,你瞧,他瞧;我们瞧,你们瞧,他们瞧。噫,这倒是怪。
And I, you, and he; and we, ye, and they, are all bats; and I'm a crow, especially when I stand a'top of this pine tree here. 我,你,他;我们,你们,他们,大家都是蝙蝠;我是只乌鸦,尤其是当我高高地蹲到这棵松树冠上时。
Caw! caw! caw! caw! caw! caw! Ain't I a crow? And where's the scare-crow? 哇!哇!哇!哇!哇!哇!难道我不是乌鸦么?可稻草人在哪儿?
There he stands; two bones stuck into a pair of old trowsers, and two more poked 2 into the sleeves of an old jacket. 啊,原来他就在那儿;两根骨头插在两只破裤脚管里,还有两根装在两只破袖筒里。
Wonder if he means me?—complimentary—poor lad!—I could go hang myself. 不知道他是不是指我说的?——真会说话!——可怜的伙伴!——我倒要去上吊了。
n.白痴,傻子,笨蛋
- Only an idiot would make such a thoughtless remark.只有草包才会说出这样没有头脑的话来。
- You are behaving like a perfect idiot.你表现得像个十足的白痴。
标签:
白鲸记