英语听书《白鲸记》第202期
英语课
For who could tell but what the next morning, so soon as I popped out of the room, the harpooneer might be standing 1 in the entry, all ready to knock me down! 因为哪个敢保到了明天早晨,我一走出房间,那个标枪手不会站在门口,一拳把我敲倒呢!
Still looking around me again, and seeing no possible chance of spending a sufferable night unless in some other person's bed, 我又四下一望,看到要度过这个苦恼的夜晚,除了睡别人的床而外,别无它法可想,
I began to think that after all I might be cherishing unwarrantable prejudices against this unknown harpooneer. 我心里开始想:我对这个陌生的标枪手所抱的种种偏见也许到头来是毫无根据的。
Thinks I, I'll wait awhile; he must be dropping in before long. 我想:还是再等一等吧;他总该快回来了。
I'll have a good look at him then, and perhaps we may become jolly good bedfellows after all--there's no telling. 那时候,让我对他好好端相一番,说不定结果我们还会成为一对极其相得的睡伴呢...谁说得准。
But though the other boarders kept coming in by ones, twos, and threes, and going to bed, yet no sign of my harpooneer. 但是,虽然其他的住客已经一个,两个,三个不断的走进来.睡觉去了,我那个标枪手却仍然不见踪影。
Landlord! said I, what sort of a chap is he--does he always keep such late hours? It was now hard upon twelve o'clock. 老板!我说,他是怎样一个家伙...他老是这样晚回来的吗?这时已经快十二点了。
The landlord chuckled 3 again with his lean chuckle 2, and seemed to be mightily 4 tickled 5 at something beyond my comprehension. 店老板又用他那乏味的笑声吃吃地笑起来,而且觉得非常好笑似的,弄得我摸不着头脑。
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
vi./n.轻声笑,咯咯笑
- He shook his head with a soft chuckle.他轻轻地笑着摇了摇头。
- I couldn't suppress a soft chuckle at the thought of it.想到这个,我忍不住轻轻地笑起来。
轻声地笑( chuckle的过去式和过去分词 )
- She chuckled at the memory. 想起这件事她就暗自发笑。
- She chuckled softly to herself as she remembered his astonished look. 想起他那惊讶的表情,她就轻轻地暗自发笑。
ad.强烈地;非常地
- He hit the peg mightily on the top with a mallet. 他用木槌猛敲木栓顶。
- This seemed mightily to relieve him. 干完这件事后,他似乎轻松了许多。
标签:
白鲸记