英语听书《白鲸记》第178期
英语课
Though I cannot tell why it was exactly that those stage managers, 虽然我真说不出,究竟为什么那些舞台经理,
the Fates, put me down for this shabby part of a whaling voyage, 也就是命运诸神要派定我担任这个捕鲸的寒伧角色,
when others were set down for magnificent parts in high tragedies, 却派别些人去演崇高悲剧里的华贵角色,
and short and easy parts in genteel comedies, and jolly parts in farces-though I cannot tell why this was exactly; 演时髦喜剧里的轻松小角色,演讽刺剧里的丑角...虽然我真说不出究竟为什么来;
yet, now that I recall all the circumstances, I think I can see a little into the springs and motives 1 which being cunningly presented to me under various disguises, 然而,现在我回想当时种种情景,那些以各种伪装狡狯地放在我面前的目的和动机...诱使我动手扮演起我所扮演的角色,
induced me to set about performing the part I did, besides cajoling me into the delusion 2 并且还哄得我幻想这是我自己的独立意志,
that it was a choice resulting from my own unbiased freewill and discriminating 3 judgment 4. 和缜密考虑的结果...我想我也能捉摸到一些儿了。
Chief among these motives was the overwhelming idea of the great whale himself. 在这些动机中,首先是那条大鲸,叫人一想起就没法按捺得下自己。
Such a portentous 5 and mysterious monster roused all my curiosity. 这样一个可怕而神秘的怪物激起了我所有的猎奇心。
n.谬见,欺骗,幻觉,迷惑
- He is under the delusion that he is Napoleon.他患了妄想症,认为自己是拿破仑。
- I was under the delusion that he intended to marry me.我误认为他要娶我。
a.有辨别能力的
- Due caution should be exercised in discriminating between the two. 在区别这两者时应该相当谨慎。
- Many businesses are accused of discriminating against women. 许多企业被控有歧视妇女的做法。
n.审判;判断力,识别力,看法,意见
- The chairman flatters himself on his judgment of people.主席自认为他审视人比别人高明。
- He's a man of excellent judgment.他眼力过人。
adj.不祥的,可怕的,装腔作势的
- The present aspect of society is portentous of great change.现在的社会预示着重大变革的发生。
- There was nothing portentous or solemn about him.He was bubbling with humour.他一点也不装腔作势或故作严肃,浑身散发着幽默。
标签:
白鲸记