英语听书《白鲸记》第169期
英语课
And there they stand--miles of them--leagues. 他们就站在那里...一连几英里,一连十几英里都是。
Inlanders all, they come from lanes and alleys 1, streets and avenues,north, east, south, and west. 他们都是来自大街小巷......来自东西南北的内地人。
Yet here they all unite. Tell me, does the magnetic virtue 2 of the needles of the compasses of all those ships attract them thither 3? 然而他们都汇合到这里来了.你说吧,是不是那些船只的罗盘指针的磁力把他们吸引来的?
Once more. Say you are in the country; in some high land of lakes. 再说吧,比如说,你是在乡下,是在有许多湖沼的高原上吧。
Take almost any path you please, and ten to one it carries you down in a dale, and leaves you there by a pool in the stream. 那么,随您走哪一条路,十九都会把你引向一个溪谷,叫你站在一条溪流的深潭边。
There is magic in it. 这可真有不可思议的魔力。
Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged 4 in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region. 不妨找个极其心不在焉的人,让他沉醉在深思里...让这个人站起来,叫他两脚走动,他准会把你带到有水的地方去,如果那一带是有水的话。
Should you ever be athirst in the great American desert, try this experiment, if your caravan 5 happen to be supplied with a metaphysical professor. 要是你在美洲大沙漠中感到口渴,而你的商队里恰巧又有个形而上学教授的话,你来做做这个试验看。
Yes, as every one knows, meditation 6 and water are wedded 7 for ever. 不错,大家都知道,沉思和水是始终结合在一起的.
胡同,小巷( alley的名词复数 ); 小径
- I followed him through a maze of narrow alleys. 我紧随他穿过一条条迂迴曲折的窄巷。
- The children lead me through the maze of alleys to the edge of the city. 孩子们领我穿过迷宫一般的街巷,来到城边。
n.德行,美德;贞操;优点;功效,效力
- He was considered to be a paragon of virtue.他被认为是品德尽善尽美的典范。
- You need to decorate your mind with virtue.你应该用德行美化心灵。
adv.向那里;adj.在那边的,对岸的
- He wandered hither and thither looking for a playmate.他逛来逛去找玩伴。
- He tramped hither and thither.他到处流浪。
v.颠簸( plunge的过去式和过去分词 );暴跌;骤降;突降
- The train derailed and plunged into the river. 火车脱轨栽进了河里。
- She lost her balance and plunged 100 feet to her death. 她没有站稳,从100英尺的高处跌下摔死了。
n.大蓬车;活动房屋
- The community adviser gave us a caravan to live in.社区顾问给了我们一间活动住房栖身。
- Geoff connected the caravan to the car.杰弗把旅行用的住屋拖车挂在汽车上。
n.熟虑,(尤指宗教的)默想,沉思,(pl.)冥想录
- This peaceful garden lends itself to meditation.这个恬静的花园适于冥想。
- I'm sorry to interrupt your meditation.很抱歉,我打断了你的沉思。
标签:
白鲸记