乔布斯传 第417期:iCEO(3)
英语课
The problem Jobs faced was that running two companies was brutal 1. 乔布斯面临的问题是,同时管理两家公司是极其艰难的。
Looking back on it, he traced his health problems back to those days: 回想起来,他觉得自己的健康问题就是从那时候开始的:
It was rough, really rough, the worst time in my life. I had a young family. I had Pixar. 很艰苦,非常艰苦,那是我一生中最糟糕的一段时间。我的家庭生活刚刚开始。我还有皮克斯公司。
I would go to work at 7 a.m. and I'd get back at 9 at night, and the kids would be in bed. 我早上7点上班,晚上9点回家,孩子们都已经睡了。
And I couldn't speak, I literally 2 couldn't, I was so exhausted 3. I couldn't speak to Laurene. 我不能说话,是真的不能,我精疲力竭。我无法跟劳伦说话。
All I could do was watch a half hour of TV and vegetate 4. It got close to killing 5 me. 我能做的事情只有看半个小时电视,然后就百无聊赖地待着。那差点儿要了我的命。
I was driving up to Pixar and down to Apple in a black Porsche convertible 6, and I started to get kidney stones. 我开着辆黑色的保时捷敞篷车往返于皮克斯和苹果之间。我开始有肾结石。
I would rush to the hospital and the hospital would give me a shot of Demerol in the butt 7 and eventually I would pass it. 我会匆匆忙忙地赶去医院5医院给我屁股上打一针杜冷丁,我才能熬过去。
Despite the grueling schedule, the more that Jobs immersed himself in Apple, 尽管这样的日程安排让乔布斯饱受折磨,但是他在苹果工作得越深入,
the more he realized that he would not be able to walk away. 就越发意识到自己无法离开。
adj.残忍的,野蛮的,不讲理的
- She has to face the brutal reality.她不得不去面对冷酷的现实。
- They're brutal people behind their civilised veneer.他们表面上温文有礼,骨子里却是野蛮残忍。
adv.照字面意义,逐字地;确实
- He translated the passage literally.他逐字逐句地翻译这段文字。
- Sometimes she would not sit down till she was literally faint.有时候,她不走到真正要昏厥了,决不肯坐下来。
adj.极其疲惫的,精疲力尽的
- It was a long haul home and we arrived exhausted.搬运回家的这段路程特别长,到家时我们已筋疲力尽。
- Jenny was exhausted by the hustle of city life.珍妮被城市生活的忙乱弄得筋疲力尽。
v.无所事事地过活
- After a hard day's work,I vegetate in front of the television.经过一整天劳累,我瘫在电视机前一动不动。
- He spends all his free time at home vegetating in front of the TV.他一有空闲时间就窝在家里看电视。
n.巨额利润;突然赚大钱,发大财
- Investors are set to make a killing from the sell-off.投资者准备清仓以便大赚一笔。
- Last week my brother made a killing on Wall Street.上个周我兄弟在华尔街赚了一大笔。
adj.可改变的,可交换,同意义的;n.有活动摺篷的汽车
- The convertible sofa means that the apartment can sleep four.有了这张折叠沙发,公寓里可以睡下4个人。
- That new white convertible is totally awesome.那辆新的白色折篷汽车简直棒极了。
标签:
乔布斯