时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册


英语课

   And am now on my way to make arrangements for a great improvement I have invented for the application of steam to a locomotive.  我正在从事自己研发的如何将蒸气应用到机车项目的重大改进,


  My name is Martin Kroller.  我叫马丁·克罗尔。
  If you wish, I will run as far as Bromberg; and I will show you running that is running. 如果你愿意,我可以将火车开到布朗伯格,我要让你看看什么叫跑起来的火车。
  Was I not fortunate?  天呀,我难道不够走运?
  I determined 1 to accept the man's offer at once, and so I told him.  我决定接受那位陌生人的请求,因此便一口应允下来,
  He received my answer with a nod and a smile.  他笑着点了下头,表示赞同我的认可。
  I went with him to the house, where we found the engine in charge of the fireman, and all ready for a start.  接着,我带他去了站台机车处,在那里见到了当班的锅炉工,他已为火车启程做好了所有准备。
  Kroller got upon the platform, and I followed him.  随后,克罗尔先生登上了机车驾驶厢,我紧紧跟随着他,
  I had never seen a man betray such a peculiar 2 aptness amid machinery 3 as he did.  迄今为止,我还从未见过其他人能像他那样具有非凡的掌控机器才能,
  He let on the steam in an instant, but yet with care and judgment 4, and he backed up to the baggage carriage with the most exact nicety.  他一边迅捷地查看蒸汽阀,一边小心翼翼地观察;然后,他来到极为整洁有序的行李车厢查看。
  I had seen enough to assure me that he was thoroughly 5 acquainted with the business, and I felt composed once more.  我转了一圈,目睹了他的实际操作能力,心中顿时如释重负,感到踏实多了。
  I gave my engine up to the new man, and then hastened away to the office.  我将火车运行大权交与这位新人,然后准备匆忙离开赶去处理公事。
  Word was passed for all the passengers to take their seats, and soon afterward 6 I waved my hand to the engineer. 当时车上广播正播放通知,嘱咐所有旅客尽快回到座位坐好,很快,我便与那位新司机挥手作别。
  There was a puff 7, a groaning 8 of the heavy axletrees, a trembling of the building, and the train was in motion.  机车噗噗声愈发大声响起,笨重的火车轴轮发出刺耳的吱嘎吱嘎声,周围空气随之颤动起来,火车终于启动了。
  I leaped upon the platform of the guard carriage, and in a few minutes more the station house was far behind us. 我跨上警卫队车厢,不过片刻,机车房便远远消失身后。

adj.坚定的;有决心的
  • I have determined on going to Tibet after graduation.我已决定毕业后去西藏。
  • He determined to view the rooms behind the office.他决定查看一下办公室后面的房间。
adj.古怪的,异常的;特殊的,特有的
  • He walks in a peculiar fashion.他走路的样子很奇特。
  • He looked at me with a very peculiar expression.他用一种很奇怪的表情看着我。
n.(总称)机械,机器;机构
  • Has the machinery been put up ready for the broadcast?广播器材安装完毕了吗?
  • Machinery ought to be well maintained all the time.机器应该随时注意维护。
n.审判;判断力,识别力,看法,意见
  • The chairman flatters himself on his judgment of people.主席自认为他审视人比别人高明。
  • He's a man of excellent judgment.他眼力过人。
adv.完全地,彻底地,十足地
  • The soil must be thoroughly turned over before planting.一定要先把土地深翻一遍再下种。
  • The soldiers have been thoroughly instructed in the care of their weapons.士兵们都系统地接受过保护武器的训练。
adv.后来;以后
  • Let's go to the theatre first and eat afterward. 让我们先去看戏,然后吃饭。
  • Afterward,the boy became a very famous artist.后来,这男孩成为一个很有名的艺术家。
n.一口(气);一阵(风);v.喷气,喘气
  • He took a puff at his cigarette.他吸了一口香烟。
  • They tried their best to puff the book they published.他们尽力吹捧他们出版的书。