英语听书《白鲸记》第56期
英语课
Chowder for breakfast, and chowder for dinner, and chowder for supper, till you began to look for fish-bones coming through your clothes. 早餐杂烩汤,晚餐海鲜汤,晚饭海鲜杂烩浓汤,直到你开始寻找藏身于衣服中的鱼骨。
The area before the house was paved with clam-shells. 客店里到处都是蛤蜊壳,
Mrs. Hussey wore a polished necklace of codfish vertebra; and Hosea Hussey had his account books bound in superior old shark-skin. 胡赛太太的项链是用鳘鱼脊骨做成的,胡赛先生的账本也是用上好的鳘鱼皮制成的,
There was a fishy 1 flavor to the milk, too, which I could not at all account for, till one morning happening to take a stroll along the beach among some fishermen's boats, 就连牛奶里也有股鱼味儿! 这就有点让我百思不得其解了。直到早晨散步时我看见奶牛在吃鱼骨头时,心中才豁然。
I saw Hosea's brindled 2 cow feeding on fish remnants, and marching along the sand with each foot in a cod's decapitated head, looking very slip-shod, I assure yes. 那奶牛不仅在吃鱼骨头,四个脚上还套着四个鳘鱼头,像拖鞋似的。
Supper concluded, we received a lamp, and directions from Mrs. Hussey concerning the nearest way to bed; 晚饭后胡赛太太给了我们一盏灯,指点了去客房的路。
but, as Queequeg was about to precede me up the stairs, the lady reached forth 3 her arm, and demanded his harpoon 4; 我们刚要走,胡赛太太一伸手,拦住了魁魁格。
she allowed no harpoon in her chambers 5. 不能带标枪!
Why not? said I; every true whaleman sleeps with his harpoon,but why not? Because it's dangerous, says she. 为什么?每个真正的捕鲸者都是和标枪共枕同眠的!我辩解着。 这很危险!她说道。
adj. 值得怀疑的
- It all sounds very fishy to me.所有这些在我听起来都很可疑。
- There was definitely something fishy going on.肯定当时有可疑的事情在进行中。
adj.有斑纹的
- I saw his brindled cow feeding on fish remnants.我看见他的用鱼杂碎喂养的斑纹奶牛。
- He had one brindled eye that sometimes made him look like a clown.他一只眼睛上有块花斑,这使得他有时看上去活象个小丑。
adv.向前;向外,往外
- The wind moved the trees gently back and forth.风吹得树轻轻地来回摇晃。
- He gave forth a series of works in rapid succession.他很快连续发表了一系列的作品。
n.鱼叉;vt.用鱼叉叉,用鱼叉捕获
- The harpoon drove deep into the body of the whale.渔叉深深地扎进鲸鱼体内。
- The fisherman transfixed the shark with a harpoon.渔夫用鱼叉刺住鲨鱼。
标签:
白鲸记