英语听书《白鲸记》第85期
英语课
I was surprised to behold 1 resting against the wall the wooden shaft 2 of Queequeg's harpoon 3, which the landlady 4 the evening previous had taken from him, before our mounting to the chamber 5. 对,那是昨天让老板娘收走的标枪!这是怎么回事儿?
That's strange, thought I; but at any rate, 这很奇怪,我想,但不管怎么说,
since the harpoon stands yonder, and he seldom or never goes abroad without it, therefore he must be inside here, and no possible mistake. 他可是从不与标枪分开片刻的,这说明他也在屋子里。
Queequeg!—Queequeg!—all still. Something must have happened. Apoplexy! I tried to burst open the door; but it stubbornly resisted. 魁魁格!魁魁格!一定是出事啦!他中风啦!我拼命地推门,门只晃了晃,要想推开,希望很小。
Running down stairs, I quickly stated my suspicions to the first person I met—the chamber-maid. 我赶紧奔下楼去,碰见了一个女佣人,我把我的看法对她讲了。她大叫起来:
La! la! she cried, I thought something must be the matter. I went to make the bed after breakfast, and the door was locked; 不得了啦,不得了啦!早晨我去收拾房间,门就锁着,我还以为你们俩都出去了呢!
and not a mouse to be heard; and it's been just so silent ever since. 没有任何人听到,这是一如既往的沉默。
But I thought, may be, you had both gone off and locked your baggage in for safe keeping. 但是我想,也许,你们出去了,行李都很安全呢。
La! la, ma'am!—Mistress! murder! Mrs. Hussey! apoplexy!—and with these cries, she ran towards the kitchen, I following. 不得了啦,不得了啦!老板娘!老板娘!人命关天啊!胡赛太太,胡赛太太!中风啦,中风啦! 她不迭声地叫喊着向厨房奔去,我忐忑不安地跟在后面。
v.看,注视,看到
- The industry of these little ants is wonderful to behold.这些小蚂蚁辛勤劳动的样子看上去真令人惊叹。
- The sunrise at the seaside was quite a sight to behold.海滨日出真是个奇景。
n.(工具的)柄,杆状物
- He was wounded by a shaft.他被箭击中受伤。
- This is the shaft of a steam engine.这是一个蒸汽机主轴。
n.鱼叉;vt.用鱼叉叉,用鱼叉捕获
- The harpoon drove deep into the body of the whale.渔叉深深地扎进鲸鱼体内。
- The fisherman transfixed the shark with a harpoon.渔夫用鱼叉刺住鲨鱼。
n.女房东,女地主
- I heard my landlady creeping stealthily up to my door.我听到我的女房东偷偷地来到我的门前。
- The landlady came over to serve me.女店主过来接待我。
标签:
白鲸记