时间:2019-01-28 作者:英语课 分类:英语小达人


英语课

 The Time Account 时间账户


Say there is a bank that credits your account each morning with RMB86,400.  假设有一家银行每天早上往你的帐户里存入86,400元,
Every evening, the bank deletes whatever remains 1 of this sum that you have failed to use during the day.  每天晚上删除你当天没有用完的钱,
It does not carry over any balance from day to day.  而不会把民账目转入下一天。
What would you do if you had such an account? 如果你有这么一个账户,你会怎么做?
Draw out every cent, every day, of course!  当然是每天取出所有的钱。 
Well, each of us has such an account. Its name is TIME.  每个人都有这样的一个帐户,账户名是“时间”。 
Every morning, time credits you with 86,400 seconds.  每天早上,时间给你存入86,400秒,
Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever you have failed to put to use.  每晚消除你没有利用上的时间,
It carries over no balance.  不会自动转入第二天,
It allows no overdraft 2. 也不允许透支。
Each day, time opens a new account for you.  每一天,时间为你开办一个新账户,
Each night, it burns whatever remains in the account.  每天晚上,把账户里的所有余额当作损失消掉。
If you fail to use up all of the day's deposits,  如果没有用完当天的存款,
you can't keep them for tomorrow.  你不能保存到明天。
Neither can you draw from what you will be put in the next morning. 也不能动用第二天的积蓄。
Time's clock runs non-stop. 时钟在不停地奔跑。

n.剩余物,残留物;遗体,遗迹
  • He ate the remains of food hungrily.他狼吞虎咽地吃剩余的食物。
  • The remains of the meal were fed to the dog.残羹剩饭喂狗了。
n.透支,透支额
  • Her bank warned that unless she repaid the overdraft she could face legal action.银行警告她如果不偿还透支钱款,她将面临诉讼。
  • An overdraft results when a note discounted at a bank is not met when due.银行贴现的支票到期而未能支付就成为透支。
标签: 故事