乔布斯传 第131期:年度机器(2)
英语课
But what truly devastated 1 Jobs was that he was not, after all, chosen as the Man of the Year.
但真正伤害了乔布斯的是,他终究没能被选为“年度人物”。
As he later told me: Time decided 2 they were going to make me Man of the Year,
正如他后来告诉我的:《时代》已经决定要让我成为“年度人物”了,
and I was twenty-seven, so I actually cared about stuff like that.
当时我才27岁,所以我真的很在意这件事,
I thought it was pretty cool.
我觉得那很酷。
They sent out Mike Moritz to write a story.
他们派迈克尔·莫里茨来写篇文章。
We're the same age, and I had been very successful,
我们两个同龄,而我当时事业已经非常成功了,
and I could tell he was jealous and there was an edge to him.
我能看得出来他很嫉妒,他又恰好掌握了有利条件。
He wrote this terrible hatchet 3 job.
所以他写了一篇恶毒诽谤的文章。
乔布斯传
So the editors in New York get this story and say,
纽约的编辑们看到这篇文章后说,
"We can't make this guy Man of the Year." That really hurt.
我们不能让这种人当“年度人物”。这真的让我很伤心。
But it was a good lesson.
不过也是个很好的教训,
It taught me to never get too excited about things like that, since the media is a circus anyway.
它告诉我永远不要为了那样的事情过分激动,因为媒体就像马戏团一样。
They FedExed me the magazine, and I remember opening the package,
他们用联邦快递把杂志寄给了我,我记得当时拆开包装的时候,
thoroughly 4 expecting to see my mug on the cover, and it was this computer sculpture thing.
满心希望在封面上看见自己的脸,结果却是个电脑的雕像。
I thought, "Huh?"
我还想:“怎么回事?”
And then I read the article, and it was so awful that I actually cried.
然后我看了那篇文章,写得太糟糕了,我真的哭了出来。
In fact there's no reason to believe that Moritz was jealous or that he intended his reporting to be unfair.
事实上,没有理由相信莫里茨当时嫉妒乔布斯,或者故意想进行不公正的报道。
Nor was Jobs ever slated 5 to be Man of the Year, despite what he thought.
乔布斯也从没有被定为“年度人物”,尽管他自己不这么认为。
That year the top editors (I was then a junior editor there) decided early on to go with the computer rather than a person,
那一年,编辑们(我也在其中,只是资历较浅)早就决定刊登“计算机”而不是某个人了,
and they commissioned, months in advance, a piece of art from the famous sculptor 6 George Segal to be a gatefold cover image.
而且他们提前几个月就委托著名的雕塑家乔治·西格尔制作一件艺术品,作为折页封面上的图像。
Ray Cave was then the magazine's editor.
雷·凯夫当时是杂志的一名编辑。
"We never considered Jobs," he said.
“我们从没有考虑过乔布斯,”他说,
"You couldn't personify the computer, so that was the first time we decided to go with an inanimate object.
“你无法把电脑比做人,所以那是我们第一次决定选用一个无生命的物体。
We never searched around for a face to be put on the cover."
我们从没有想让某个人出现在封面上。”
v.彻底破坏( devastate的过去式和过去分词);摧毁;毁灭;在感情上(精神上、财务上等)压垮adj.毁坏的;极为震惊的
- The bomb devastated much of the old part of the city. 这颗炸弹炸毁了旧城的一大片地方。
- His family is absolutely devastated. 他的一家感到极为震惊。
adj.决定了的,坚决的;明显的,明确的
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
n.短柄小斧;v.扼杀
- I shall have to take a hatchet to that stump.我得用一把短柄斧来劈这树桩。
- Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.别用斧头拍打朋友额头上的苍蝇。
adv.完全地,彻底地,十足地
- The soil must be thoroughly turned over before planting.一定要先把土地深翻一遍再下种。
- The soldiers have been thoroughly instructed in the care of their weapons.士兵们都系统地接受过保护武器的训练。
用石板瓦盖( slate的过去式和过去分词 )
- Yuki is working up an in-home phonics program slated for Thursdays, and I'm drilling her on English conversation at dinnertime. Yuki每周四还有一次家庭语音课。我在晚餐时训练她的英语口语。
- Bromfield was slated to become U.S. Secretary of Agriculture. 布罗姆菲尔德被提名为美国农业部长。
标签:
乔布斯