美国语文第五册 第139期:遗嘱(2)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册
英语课
But here comes the young reprobate 1. He must be present, as a matter of course, you know. 哦,瞧,那小流氓进来了,他准得来的,不消说,你懂的。
(Enter Frank Millington.) (弗兰克·米林顿走进)
Your servant, young gentleman. So your benefactress has left you at last. 你的仆从在此,年轻人,你的监护人已经去世了。
It is a painful thing to part with old and good friends, Mr. Millington. 米林顿先生,与挚友及心爱朋友最后离别,真够难过的。
Frank says: It is so, sir; but I could bear her loss better had I not so often been ungrateful for her kindness. 弗兰克:先生们,事已至此,如果当时我并非一而再、再而三对她的培养忘恩负义,想起这一点比她的去世更难忍受。
She was my only friend, and I knew not her value. 她是我唯一的亲人,我真是枉费了她一番好心。
It is too late to repent 2, Master Millington. You will now have a chance to earn your own bread. 现在再买后悔药,晚了,米林顿少爷。从今个起,你得自个在土里刨食了。
Ay, ay, or the sweat of your brow, as better people are obliged to. 咳,咳,你是得自己找活路了,汗珠子摔八瓣,那些比你还体面的人也得做活。
You would make a fine brewer's boy, if you were not too old. 你不如学学怎么酿酒,但愿年龄还不太大。
Ay, or a saddler's lackey 3, if held with a tight rein 4. 哎呀呀,做个皮货商跟班学徒也不错,如果约束更严点的话。
Gentlemen, your remarks imply that my aunt has treated me as I deserved. 先生们,你们的话说明,我婶婶那样对我,真是我咎由自取。
I am above your insults, and only hope you will bear your fortune as modestly as I shall mine submissively. I shall retire. 不过,你们还不够资格来羞辱我,我唯一指望你们能像我那样谦卑顺从地接受现实,好了,我得走了。
(Going: He meets Squire 5 Drawl.) (弗兰克正欲离开,德洛法官走进。)
Squire says: Stop, stop, young man. We must have your presence. Good morning, gentlemen; you are early on the ground. 德洛法官:等等,年轻人。你肯定不能离开,早上好,先生们,你们来得可真够早。
I hope the Squire is well to-day. 但愿法官大人今天感觉不错。
Pretty comfortable, for an invalid 6. 对病弱之躯来说,我感觉相当不错。
I trust the damp air has not affected 7 your lungs again. 我相信空气闷湿不会再次影响法官大人的喘气吧。
n.无赖汉;堕落的人
- After the fall,god begins to do the work of differentiation between his elect and the reprobate.人堕落之后,上帝开始分辨选民与被遗弃的人。
- He disowned his reprobate son.他声明与堕落的儿子脱离关系。
v.悔悟,悔改,忏悔,后悔
- He has nothing to repent of.他没有什么要懊悔的。
- Remission of sins is promised to those who repent.悔罪者可得到赦免。
n.侍从;跟班
- I'm not staying as a paid lackey to act as your yes-man.我不要再做拿钱任你使唤的应声虫。
- Who would have thought that Fredo would become a lackey of women?谁能料到弗烈特竟堕落成女人脚下的哈叭狗?
n.疆绳,统治,支配;vt.以僵绳控制,统治
- The horse answered to the slightest pull on the rein.只要缰绳轻轻一拉,马就作出反应。
- He never drew rein for a moment till he reached the river.他一刻不停地一直跑到河边。
n.护卫, 侍从, 乡绅
- I told him the squire was the most liberal of men.我告诉他乡绅是世界上最宽宏大量的人。
- The squire was hard at work at Bristol.乡绅在布里斯托尔热衷于他的工作。
n.病人,伤残人;adj.有病的,伤残的;无效的
- He will visit an invalid.他将要去看望一个病人。
- A passport that is out of date is invalid.护照过期是无效的。