美国语文第五册 第80期:不满意的钟摆(3)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册
英语课
The minute hand, being quick at figures, presently replied, 擅长计算的分钟随即回答:
"Eighty-six thousand four hundred times." "Exactly so," replied the pendulum 1. “86400次。”“一点不错,”钟摆说,
Well, I appeal to you all, if the very thought of this was not enough to fatigue 2 anyone; 那么,我希望大家注意,假若仅仅这点还不能使任何人疲惫至极,
and when I began to multiply the strokes of one day by those of months and years, really it was no wonder if I felt discouraged at the prospect 3. 如果再将每天每月每年的数字翻倍累计,我对前途感到沮丧失望,感到累得无处可逃,这,难道还有什么奇怪吗?
So, after a great deal of reasoning and hesitation 4, thinks I to myself, I'll stop. 考虑到这些理由,犹豫再三,经过反复琢磨,我决定罢工。
The dial could scarcely keep its countenance 5 during this harangue 6; 钟摆诉苦时,表盘几乎无法保持它的沉稳表情,
but, resuming its gravity, thus replied, 稍微定神恢复常态后,表盘开口了,
Dear Mr. Pendulum, I am really astonished that such a useful, industrious 7 person as yourself should have been seized by this sudden weariness. 亲爱的钟摆先生,像你这样勤勉能干的人,竟然被突如其来的疲惫压垮,让人匪夷所思。
It is true, you have done a great deal of work in your time; so have we all,and are likely to do; 在你任职期间,你的确做了大量工作,难道在座诸位不亦拼命干活?工作不亦将继续如此?
which, although it may fatigue us to think of, the question is, whether it will fatigue us to do. 尽管想到这点,我们或许都疲惫不堪,问题在于,继续做下去难道使我们疲惫不堪?
Would you now do me the favor to give about half a dozen strokes to illustrate 8 my argument? 你能否帮我个忙,再摆动滴答六七下,以证明我所言不虚?”
The pendulum complied, and ticked six times at its usual pace. 按照正常的节奏,钟摆顺从地滴答了六次。
"Now," resumed the dial, "may I be allowed to inquire if that exertion 9 is at all fatiguing 10 or disagreeable to you?" “好了,”表盘接着说,“可否允许我向你提个问题?说到底,这样干活让你生烦讨厌?”
"Not in the least," replied the pendulum; "it is not of six strokes that I complain, nor of sixty, but of millions." “一点也不,”钟摆回答,“我抱怨的不是滴答六次,不是六十次,而是数以百万计的六次。”
n.摆,钟摆
- The pendulum swung slowly to and fro.钟摆在慢慢地来回摆动。
- He accidentally found that the desk clock did not swing its pendulum.他无意中发现座钟不摇摆了。
n.疲劳,劳累
- The old lady can't bear the fatigue of a long journey.这位老妇人不能忍受长途旅行的疲劳。
- I have got over my weakness and fatigue.我已从虚弱和疲劳中恢复过来了。
n.前景,前途;景色,视野
- This state of things holds out a cheerful prospect.事态呈现出可喜的前景。
- The prospect became more evident.前景变得更加明朗了。
n.犹豫,踌躇
- After a long hesitation, he told the truth at last.踌躇了半天,他终于直说了。
- There was a certain hesitation in her manner.她的态度有些犹豫不决。
n.脸色,面容;面部表情;vt.支持,赞同
- At the sight of this photograph he changed his countenance.他一看见这张照片脸色就变了。
- I made a fierce countenance as if I would eat him alive.我脸色恶狠狠地,仿佛要把他活生生地吞下去。
n.慷慨冗长的训话,言辞激烈的讲话
- We had to listen to a long harangue about our own shortcomings.我们必须去听一有关我们缺点的长篇大论。
- The minister of propaganda delivered his usual harangue.宣传部长一如既往发表了他的长篇大论。
adj.勤劳的,刻苦的,奋发的
- If the tiller is industrious,the farmland is productive.人勤地不懒。
- She was an industrious and willing worker.她是个勤劳肯干的员工。
v.举例说明,阐明;图解,加插图
- The company's bank statements illustrate its success.这家公司的银行报表说明了它的成功。
- This diagram will illustrate what I mean.这个图表可说明我的意思。
n.尽力,努力
- We were sweating profusely from the exertion of moving the furniture.我们搬动家具大费气力,累得大汗淋漓。
- She was hot and breathless from the exertion of cycling uphill.由于用力骑车爬坡,她浑身发热。