时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册


英语课

   Noon, by the north clock! 中午,北方时钟报时!


  Noon, by the east!  中午,东方时钟报时!
  High noon, too, by those hot sunbeams which fall, scarcely aslope, upon my head,  正午,那炽火的光几乎垂直泻落到我的头顶,
  and almost make the water bubble and smoke in the trough under my nose. 我鼻子下水槽里的水即将沸腾冒烟,
  Truly, we public characters have a tough time of it! 坦率地说,我们这些公众人物居然身受如此磨难。
  And among all the town officers, chosen at the yearly meeting,  如果镇政府大小一干官员,若有人被选中参加小镇年度会议,
  where is he that sustains, for a single year, the burden of such manifold duties as are imposed, in perpetuity, upon the Town Pump? 是否意味一年内他应该履行那些五花八门的职责,类似那些被永久赋予小镇水泵身上的诸多义务?
  The title of town treasurer 1 is rightfully mine, as guardian 2 of the best treasure the town has. 通过某种正当方式,我被授以小镇财务长官的头衔,如同小镇那些宝贵资产的监护人。
  The overseers of the poor ought to make me their chairman, since I provide bountifully for the pauper 3, without expense to him that pays taxes. 那些济贫会执事们真该提名我为主席,由于我慷慨地为乞丐或贫民提供帮助,更无需让他们缴税。
  I am at the head of the fire department, and one of the physicians of the board of health. 我是小镇消防部门当仁不让的主管,同时行使镇上卫生理事会医生的崇高职责。
  As a keeper or the peace, all water drinkers confess me equal to the constable 4. 作为小镇的维护者,或者毋庸说安宁生活的守护者,所有饮水居民无不承认我的作用好比治安巡警。
  I perform some of the duties of the town clerk, by promulgating 5 public notices, when they are pasted on my front. 一旦镇政府颁布公告张贴到我的身上,我甚至亦能履行小镇官员的相应管理义务。
  To speak within bounds, I am chief person of the municipality, 就言论许可范围来说,我是小镇当局的重要人物兼政务形象。
  and exhibit, moreover, an admirable pattern to my brother officers by the cool, steady, upright, downright, and impartial 6 discharge of my business,  此外,鉴于我的冷静稳定、诚信爽直,以及公正地胜任工作,坚持履行职责,对我的兄弟官员来说,
  and the constancy with which I stand to my post. 难保不成为令人钦佩的光辉榜样。
  Summer or winter, nobody seeks me in vain; 无论寒寒暑秋冬,无论什么人,我一概有求必应。
  for all day long I am seen at the busiest corner, just above the market, stretching out my arms to rich and poor alike; 从早到晚,我成天呆在市场上最繁忙的地方,不管穷人富人,都是以礼相待。
  and at night I hold a lantern over my head, to show where I am, and to keep people out of the gutters 7. 每逢夜晚,我会在我的头顶挂上一盏灯,表明我的存在,提醒镇上居民小心沟坎。

n.司库,财务主管
  • Mr. Smith was succeeded by Mrs.Jones as treasurer.琼斯夫人继史密斯先生任会计。
  • The treasurer was arrested for trying to manipulate the company's financial records.财务主管由于试图窜改公司财政帐目而被拘留。
n.监护人;守卫者,保护者
  • The form must be signed by the child's parents or guardian. 这张表格须由孩子的家长或监护人签字。
  • The press is a guardian of the public weal. 报刊是公共福利的卫护者。
n.贫民,被救济者,穷人
  • You lived like a pauper when you had plenty of money.你有大把钱的时候,也活得像个乞丐。
  • If you work conscientiously you'll only die a pauper.你按部就班地干,做到老也是穷死。
n.(英国)警察,警官
  • The constable conducted the suspect to the police station.警官把嫌疑犯带到派出所。
  • The constable kept his temper,and would not be provoked.那警察压制着自己的怒气,不肯冒起火来。
v.宣扬(某事物)( promulgate的现在分词 );传播;公布;颁布(法令、新法律等)
  • While they promulgating the Christianity, English was also publicized in China. 他们在传教的同时,英语也在中国得到了广泛的传播。 来自互联网
  • It is a philosophy of life, promulgating numerous and complicated existence. “生活艺术论”是林语堂文化观、人生观和审美观的集中体现。 来自互联网
adj.(in,to)公正的,无偏见的
  • He gave an impartial view of the state of affairs in Ireland.他对爱尔兰的事态发表了公正的看法。
  • Careers officers offer impartial advice to all pupils.就业指导员向所有学生提供公正无私的建议。
(路边)排水沟( gutter的名词复数 ); 阴沟; (屋顶的)天沟; 贫贱的境地
  • Gutters lead the water into the ditch. 排水沟把水排到这条水沟里。
  • They were born, they grew up in the gutters. 他们生了下来,以后就在街头长大。
学英语单词