美国语文第四册 第110期:中国故事一则(2)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
So on the appointed day—both innocent as babes, of course—these honest fellows went, 约定的日子转眼就到了——两个孩子般诚实的人来到碑前,
And took their distant station; and Ching said, 站得很远,庆说,
I can read plainly, To the illustrious dead,the chief of mandarins, the great Goh-Bang. 我清楚看到碑上写着,这里埋葬着杰出的满洲首领,伟大的国邦。
"And is that all that you can spell?" said Chang; 常说,“就只有这些吗?”
I see what you have read, but furthermore,In smaller letters, toward the temple door, 我不但看到你读的这些,而且朝向庙门的碑角还有小字,
Quite plain, This tablet is erected 1 here by those to whom the great Goh-Bang was dear. 清楚写着,这个石碑是敬爱国邦的人所立。
"My sharp-eyed friend, there are no such words!" said Ching. “我好眼神的朋友,没有这些文字!”常说,
"They're there," said Chang, “我清楚地看到了,”庆说,
if I see anything,As clear as daylight.Patent eyes, indeed, 碑上刻着这些文字,就和白天一样清楚。
You have! cried Ching; do you think I can not read? 你的眼睛真特别,难道你以为我不识字吗?
"Not at this distance as I can," Chang said, “从这么远可不像我能识字,”常说,
If what you say you saw is all you read. 如果你说你看到的是全部文字。
In fine, they quarreled, and their wrath 2 increased, 他们越吵越凶,满腔怒火,
Till Chang said, Let us leave it to the priest; 最后常说,让主持来裁判吧;
Look! here he comes to meet us.It is well, 看!他走过来了。这样最好,
Said honest Ching; "no falsehood he will tell." 诚实的庆说;“他可从不说谎。”
The good man heard their artless story through, 善良的主持听了他们可爱的故事,
And said, I think, dear sirs, there must be few blest with such wondrous 3 eyes as those you wear: 说,我想,亲爱的先生们,肯定有几个人,眼神和你们一样好:
There's no such tablet or inscription 4 there! 可那里既没石碑,也没碑文!
There was one, it is true; it was moved away and placed within the temple yesterday. 以前是有;没错,可是已经挪走了,昨天被我们移到庙里了。
n.愤怒,愤慨,暴怒
- His silence marked his wrath. 他的沉默表明了他的愤怒。
- The wrath of the people is now aroused. 人们被激怒了。
adj.令人惊奇的,奇妙的;adv.惊人地;异乎寻常地;令人惊叹地
- The internal structure of the Department is wondrous to behold.看一下国务院的内部结构是很有意思的。
- We were driven across this wondrous vast land of lakes and forests.我们乘车穿越这片有着湖泊及森林的广袤而神奇的土地。
n.(尤指石块上的)刻印文字,铭文,碑文
- The inscription has worn away and can no longer be read.铭文已磨损,无法辨认了。
- He chiselled an inscription on the marble.他在大理石上刻碑文。