美国语文第五册 第33期:尊重安息日(3)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册
英语课
"Come along, follow me," said the stranger, “哎,先听我说,”陌生人说,
I am going to see a person who says his name is William Reed, of Kingston, near Taunton. 我正在找从金斯敦来的一个叫威廉.瑞德的人,不错,金斯敦确实离陶顿很近。
Come and confront him. If you prove to be indeed he who you say you are, I have glorious news for you. 倘若你能证实你所言不虚,我可有天大好事要告诉你。
Your uncle is dead, and has left an immense fortune, which I will put you in possession of when all legal doubts are removed. 你的叔叔去世了,他留下一笔巨额遗产,你可以拥有这笔财产,当然你必须通过所有相关的法律认证。
They went by the coach; saw the pretended William Reed, and proved him to be an impostor. 两人坐马车赶回威廉.瑞德的家乡,见到了那个冒牌的威廉.瑞德,最后查明他是个骗子。
The stranger, who was a pious 1 attorney, was soon legally satisfied of the barber's identity, 原来,那位陌生人是位敬业的律师,他很快便获得了理发匠威廉.瑞德的合法身份证明,
and told him that he had advertised him in vain. 他还告诉理发匠自己曾登过广告寻找,最终一无所获。
Providence 2 had now thrown him in his way in a most extraordinary manner, 如今天遂人意,
and he had great pleasure in transferring a great many thousand pounds to a worthy 3 man, the rightful heir of the property. 他感到非常高兴,能将这份巨额财产交给值得拥有的人,一份财产的合法继承人,
Thus was man's extremity 4 God's opportunity. 这真是踏破铁鞋无觅处的天赐良机。
Had the poor barber possessed 5 one half-penny, or even had credit for a candle, he might have remained unknown for years; 倘若,当时那位贫困潦倒的理发匠手里还有半便士,如果不是一根蜡烛的诚信,或许接下来很多年,理发匠仍然默默无闻。
but he trusted God, who never said, "Seek ye my face," in vain. 他,相信上帝,而上帝将证明,“信任,永远不会徒劳。”
adj.虔诚的;道貌岸然的
- Alexander is a pious follower of the faith.亚历山大是个虔诚的信徒。
- Her mother was a pious Christian.她母亲是一个虔诚的基督教徒。
n.深谋远虑,天道,天意;远见;节约;上帝
- It is tempting Providence to go in that old boat.乘那艘旧船前往是冒大险。
- To act as you have done is to fly in the face of Providence.照你的所作所为那样去行事,是违背上帝的意志的。
adj.(of)值得的,配得上的;有价值的
- I did not esteem him to be worthy of trust.我认为他不值得信赖。
- There occurred nothing that was worthy to be mentioned.没有值得一提的事发生。
n.末端,尽头;尽力;终极;极度
- I hope you will help them in their extremity.我希望你能帮助在穷途末路的他们。
- What shall we do in this extremity?在这种极其困难的情况下我们该怎么办呢?