英语PK台 第116期:你会爱上怎样的人?(2)
英语课
Dialogue:
XG:So, how did your last date go with that guy, Jing Jing?
小高:京晶,你最近的约会进展如何?
JJ:I don't even wanna talk about it. I thought he was going to be Mr. Right, but he turned out to be Mr. Wrong. I don't understand... We met online, and it seemed like we had so much in common.
京晶:哎,甭提了,我本以为他会是我理想的另一半,结果成了非常不理想的那一位。我就纳闷了,我们在网上认识的,看上去我们还有不少相似之处呢!
XG:Well, that might be the problem right there.
小高:嗯,也许这就是问题所在吧。
JJ:What do you mean?
京晶:求教?
XG:I mean,maybe you should look for someone who is different from you. Take the “opposites attract” route 1, instead of the “birds of a feather flock 2 together” one.
小高:我是说,也许你应该去找一位和你有些不同的人,朝“ 异性相吸“那个方向走走看,而不是走“物以类聚” 这个方向。
JJ:Really? Why would someone who doesn't have much in common be a goodsoulmate?
京晶:真的吗?为什么完全没有相似之处的人反而能成为那个对的人呢?
XG:Well,think about it. The other person will seem more interesting. If you are dating someone who is similar to you, then you wouldn't find yourself “discovering”too much more about that person.
小高:嗯,想想吧,这样一来,对方看上去会更有趣,如果你跟一个和你很相似的人谈恋爱,你不会觉得从对方身上能挖掘到更多有趣之处。
JJ:I see your point…
京晶:我明白你的意思…
XG:And it's good to have someone who helps you leave your comfort zone. If you're anintrovert who likes to stay at home all day,then maybe it would be a good idea to date an extrovert 3 who enjoys being around lots of other people and going out.
小高:如果有人帮你打破惯性(把你推出你的舒适区)也是一件不错的事。如果你是个爱宅的内向的人,交一个外向的,喜欢和人群打交道,喜欢出门的朋友也许是个好主意哦!
JJ:Yeah,that's true. But we should be careful not to go overboard. If people are too opposite, they might argue and never get along. I think finding 4 the right balance is what matters most. In other words, it's okay to have a few differences here and there,but I'magainst dating someone who is totally opposite. However,having this conversation made me realize that maybe I do in fact need to find someone who is a little more different than me.
京晶:这倒是。不过还是得小心别做过头了,差异太大的人通常会争执,而且处不好。我觉得找到一个差异的平衡是最重要的。换句话说,俩人有点小差异是没问题的,但是我反对和与自己个性八杆子打不着的人谈恋爱。不过,这个对话倒是让我意识到也许我还真的该去找一个和我有些不同的人。
XG:Well, I'm glad I could help!
小高:俺很高兴能帮上点儿忙!
New words fordialogue:
Mr. Right = the perfect man for you 对的人
Opposites attract = the theory that two things will be attractedto each other based on their differences 异性相吸,异类相吸
Birds of a feather flock together = People who are similar tend toget along better 物以类聚
Soulmate = the person who is perfect for you and you can spend therest of your life with 灵魂伴侣,完美的另一半
Comfort zone = a place or situation where one feels safe or at ease and withoutstress 舒适区,人的惯性,惰性
Introvert = someone who is shy and not that outgoing 内向的
Extrovert = the opposite of an introvert 外向的
Go overboard = to do something too excessively to where it causesa negative effect 做事做过头了
Against [something] = 反对某事
1 route
n.路径,途径,路线;vt.确定路线,按规定路线发送
- On the way home, we took an indirect route.回家的路上,我们绕了一个大圈。
- The plane did not fly the usual commercial route.飞机没有沿通常的商业航线飞。
2 flock
n.羊群,一群,大量;vi.群集,聚集,成群
- A flock of customers were waiting for the store to open.一群顾客在等候着商店开门。
- A few sheep have been lost from the flock.羊群里少了几只羊。
标签:
英语PK台