英语PK台 第58期:假装你不知道愚人节(2)
英语课
Dialogue :
XiaoGao:So did you study for the test today? I was up all night studying for it, I hope I get a good grade.
小高:你认真看书准备考试了吗?我最晚熬了一宿,希望能考个好成绩呀!
JingJing:Test? What test? I didn’t know we had a test today!
京晶:考试?什么考试?我不知道我们今天有考试呀!
XiaoGao:Haha! April Fools! I was just yanking your chain. The test is next week!
小高:哈哈,愚人节快乐!我刚才跟你开玩笑呢!是下周考试呢!
JingJing:Oh thank heavens! You scared me! What is April Fool’s Day anyway?
京晶:哎呀我的妈呀!不带这么吓人的呢!那啥,到底什么是愚人节啊!
XiaoGao:April Fool’s Day is traditionally held on the first of April. People play practical jokes on their friends and loved ones, just like I did to you!
小高:按照传统,四月愚人节就在四月的第一天,人们会跟朋友和关系亲密的人开开玩笑,就像我刚才跟你闹着玩儿那样。
JingJing:Does the whole world celebrate it?
京晶:全世界都庆祝这个节日吗?
XiaoGao: A lot of countries do. For example, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK and South Africa only play jokes until noon. Sometimes, newspapers will have a hoax 1 in the morning articles. In other countries, like America, France, and Italy, the jokes last all day.
小高:许多国家都庆祝呢!比如,新西兰,爱尔兰,英国,南非,这些国家人们之间开玩笑不会超过中午。有时候,报纸会在早间版文章中来个恶作剧。在另外一些国家,比如美国、法国、意大利,玩笑可以持续一整天。
JingJing:So how did this crazy holiday start? What’s the history behind April Fool’s Day?
京晶:那这个疯狂的节日是如何开始的呢?愚人节的历史是怎样的呢?
XiaoGao:The actual origin of April Fool’s Day is kind a grey area. The earliest association 2 between the first of April and foolishness can be traced 3 back to the year 1392.
小高:愚人节真实的起源其实是不太确定的。不过4月1号和愚人的联系最早可以追溯到1392年。
JingJing:Cool! Can you tell me some funny hoaxes 4 that you’ve heard about?
京晶:不错,那…能不能告诉我一些你听过的有趣的恶作剧?
XiaoGao:In 1957, BBC ran a famous hoax about a tree that grew noodles on it. After that, a lot of people called the television station wanting to know how to grow their own noodle tree.
小高:在1957年,英国的BBC电视台开了一个著名的玩笑,一棵树上长出面条了。听了这则消息后,人们纷纷打电话给电视台询问如何在树上种面条。
JingJing:That’s interesting. I think you better watch your back today. I’m determined 5 to seek revenge 6!
京晶:有意思,不过你今天最好小心点儿,我可是会报仇的哦!
XiaoGao:Good luck. You’ll never fool me!
小高:祝你好运!想整我没那么容易!
New words for dialogue:
April Fools! =said to someone to tell them that you have played an April Fool’s joke on them 愚人节快乐!
Yank someone’s chain = to joke with someone 跟某人开玩笑
Thank heavens! =said when you are relieved 7 about something 谢天谢地
Practical joke = a trick played on someone to make them look foolish and amuse others 开玩笑
Hoax = a humorous deception 8 恶作剧
Origin = the starting point of something 起源
Grey area =something that is not certain or clear 模糊的,不清楚的,不确定的
Watch your back =be careful, something might happen to you 小心点儿
Seek revenge =hurt or harm someone because they hurt or !harmed you 复仇
1 hoax
v.欺骗,哄骗,愚弄;n.愚弄人,恶作剧
- They were the victims of a cruel hoax.他们是一个残忍恶作剧的受害者。
- They hoax him out of his money.他们骗去他的钱。
2 association
n.联盟,协会,社团;交往,联合;联想
- Our long association with your company has brought great benefits.我方和贵公司的长期合作带来了巨大的利益。
- I broke away from the association ten years ago.我10年前就脱离了那个团体。
3 traced
描绘( trace的过去式和过去分词 ); 追溯; 发现; 跟踪
- We finally traced him to an address in Chicago. 我们终于追查到他在芝加哥的一个地址。
- The names were traced out in stark black print. 这些名字是用醒目的黑体字印出的。
4 hoaxes
n.恶作剧,戏弄( hoax的名词复数 )v.开玩笑骗某人,戏弄某人( hoax的第三人称单数 )
- The disc jockey, a young separatist named Pierre Brassard, has made his name with such hoaxes. 这位名叫彼埃尔 - 布拉萨尔的音乐节目主持人,是一名年轻的分离主义者,以制造这类骗局闻名。 来自百科语句
- This chain-letter hoaxes, has mutated over the years. 这一骗局多年来在互联网上不断发展和变异。 来自互联网
5 determined
adj.坚定的;有决心的
- I have determined on going to Tibet after graduation.我已决定毕业后去西藏。
- He determined to view the rooms behind the office.他决定查看一下办公室后面的房间。
6 revenge
v.报...之仇,为...报仇 ;n.报仇,复仇
- She poisoned his mind with ideas of hate and revenge.她用复仇的思想来毒害他的心灵。
- There was anger in his eyes and revenge in his heart.他两眼闪现怒火,一心只想复仇。
标签:
英语PK台