英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第242期:第十四章 精神胜于物质(11)
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
"How was your day?" I asked. “你今天过得怎么样?”我问道。
The words were rushed; I was dying to escape to my room. 这话说得太仓促了。我迫不及待地想要逃回我自己的房间。
"Good. The fish were biting... how about you? Did you get everything done that you wanted to?" “好极了。那些鱼都咬钩了……你呢?你把想做的事情都做完了吗?”
"Not really—it was too nice out to stay indoors." I took another big bite. “没有——外面的天气太好了,待在屋里太可惜了。”我又咬了一大口宽面条。
"It was a nice day," he agreed. “今天天气很好。”他赞同道。
What an understatement, I thought to myself. 多么保守的描述,我自忖着。
Finished with the last bite of lasagna, I lifted my glass and chugged the remains 1 of my milk. 吃完最后一口意大利面后,我拿起我的杯子,咕噜咕噜地喝完了剩下的牛奶。
Charlie surprised me by being observant. "In a hurry?" 查理正密切关注着我,他很惊讶。“你赶时间?”
"Yeah, I'm tired. I'm going to bed early." “是的,我累了。我要早点上床睡觉。”
"You look kinda keyed up," he noted 2. “你看上去有点兴奋。”他注意到了。
Why, oh why, did this have to be his night to pay attention? 为什么,哦为什么,他今晚就非得这么留心注意呢?
"Do I?" was all I could manage in response. “有吗?”我想方设法也只能作出这样的答复。
I quickly scrubbed my dishes clean in the sink, and placed them upside down on a dish towel to dry. 我飞快地把我的盘子在水槽里擦洗干净,然后用抹布把它们擦干。
"It's Saturday," he mused 3. “今天是星期六。”他若有所思地说道。
I didn't respond. 我没有回答。
"No plans tonight?" he asked suddenly. “今晚没安排吗?”他忽然问道。
"No, Dad, I just want to get some sleep." “不,爸爸,我只是想去睡觉。”
"None of the boys in town your type, eh?" “镇里没有一个男孩是你喜欢的类型,嗯?”
He was suspicious, but trying to play it cool. 他很怀疑,但努力抑制住了自己的情绪。
"No, none of the boys have caught my eye yet." “没有,还没有一个男孩能吸引我的眼球。”
I was careful not to over-emphasize the word boys in my quest to be truthful 4 with Charlie. 我小心地不去过分强调我的话里“男孩”那个词,以保持对查理的诚实态度。
"I thought maybe that Mike Newton... you said he was friendly." “我以为也许迈克·牛顿……你说过他很友好。”
"He's Just a friend, Dad." “他只是个朋友,爸爸。”
"Well, you're too good for them all, anyway. Wait till you get to college to start looking." “好吧,无论如何你都太棒了,他们配不上你。等你上了大学再开始找吧。”
Every father's dream, that his daughter will be out of the house before the hormones 5 kick in. 每个父亲的梦想,就是自己的女儿会在荷尔蒙起作用以前离开家。
1 remains
n.剩余物,残留物;遗体,遗迹
- He ate the remains of food hungrily.他狼吞虎咽地吃剩余的食物。
- The remains of the meal were fed to the dog.残羹剩饭喂狗了。
2 noted
adj.著名的,知名的
- The local hotel is noted for its good table.当地的那家酒店以餐食精美而著称。
- Jim is noted for arriving late for work.吉姆上班迟到出了名。
标签:
英语听力