英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第270期:第十六章 卡莱尔(8)
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
When he turned back to me, a gentle angel's smile lit his expression. 当他回过头来看向我时,一种温柔的天使般的微笑点亮了他的神情。
And so we've come full circle, he concluded. “所以现在我们又回到了开始的地方。”他作出了结语。
Have you always stayed with Carlisle, then? I wondered. “那么,你一直都跟卡莱尔在一起吗?”我想知道。
Almost always. He put his hand lightly on my waist and pulled me with him as he walked through the door. “大部分时候是。”他轻柔地把手放到我的腰间,拥着我向门外走去。
I stared back at the wall of pictures, wondering if I would ever get to hear the other stories. 我回头看着那满墙的照片,想知道我是否听到其它的故事。
Edward didn't say any more as we walked down the hall, so I asked, Almost? 当我们走过走廊的时候,爱德华只字不提,所以我问道。“大部分?”
He sighed, seeming reluctant to answer. Well, I had a typical bout 1 of rebellious 2 adolescence 3 — about ten years after I was… born… created, 他叹了口气,似乎很不情愿回答。“好吧,我有过一段典型的青春期中的叛逆期——大约在我……新生……被创造出来的十年之后,
whatever you want to call it. I wasn't sold on his life of abstinence, and I resented him for curbing 4 my appetite. So I went off on my own for a time. 你想怎么称呼都行。我对他那种禁欲的生活不感兴趣,而且我厌恶他遏制我的欲望。所以我离开了,独自过活了一段时间。”
Really? I was intrigued 5, rather than frightened, as I perhaps should have been. “真的?”我被激起的好奇远胜于我的惊讶,也超出了我应该好奇的程度。
He could tell. I vaguely 6 realized that we were headed up the next flight of stairs, but I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings. 他能分辨出来。我隐隐约约地意识到我们正在走上通往另一层的楼梯,但我完全没有注意到自己周围的环境。
That doesn't repulse 7 you? No. “那没有击退你吗?”“没有。”
Why not? “为什么没有呢?”
I guess… it sounds reasonable. “我猜……这听起来很合理。”
He barked a laugh, more loudly than before. We were at the top of the stairs now, in another paneled hallway. 他厉声笑着,比之前笑得还要响。我们现在已经走到了楼梯顶上,站在了另一个镶嵌着木地板的走廊里。
From the time of my new birth, he murmured, I had the advantage of knowing what everyone around me was thinking, both human and non-human alike. “从我重获新生时起,”他喃喃低语道。“我就获得了知晓周围每一个人的想法的优势,不管对方是否是人类。
That's why it took me ten years to defy Carlisle — I could read his perfect sincerity 8, understand exactly why he lived the way he did. 这就是为什么我在过了十年之后才敢挑衅卡莱尔——我能读到他全然的真挚,确切地理解他为什么要过着这样的生活。”
It took me only a few years to return to Carlisle and recommit to his vision. I thought I would be exempt 9 from the… depression… that accompanies a conscience. “但只过了几年,我又回到了卡莱尔身边,重新接受他的观点。那时候我想着,我可以得到解脱的,从那种……沮丧……中得到赦免,并且是伴随着一种良心的产生的沮丧。
Because I knew the thoughts of my prey 10, I could pass over the innocent and pursue only the evil. 因为我能知道我的牺牲品的想法,我可以略过那些无辜者,而只去猎食那些坏人。
If I followed a murderer down a dark alley 11 where he stalked a young girl — if I saved her, then surely I wasn't so terrible. 如果我追踪着一个在暗巷里偷偷靠近一个年轻女孩的谋杀犯——如果我救了她,那么的确我就没那么坏了。”
1 bout
n.侵袭,发作;一次(阵,回);拳击等比赛
- I was suffering with a bout of nerves.我感到一阵紧张。
- That bout of pneumonia enfeebled her.那次肺炎的发作使她虚弱了。
2 rebellious
adj.造反的,反抗的,难控制的
- They will be in danger if they are rebellious.如果他们造反,他们就要发生危险。
- Her reply was mild enough,but her thoughts were rebellious.她的回答虽然很温和,但她的心里十分反感。
3 adolescence
n.青春期,青少年
- Adolescence is the process of going from childhood to maturity.青春期是从少年到成年的过渡期。
- The film is about the trials and tribulations of adolescence.这部电影讲述了青春期的麻烦和苦恼。
4 curbing
n.边石,边石的材料v.限制,克制,抑制( curb的现在分词 )
- Progress has been made in curbing inflation. 在控制通货膨胀方面已取得了进展。
- A range of policies have been introduced aimed at curbing inflation. 为了抑制通货膨胀实施了一系列的政策。
5 intrigued
adj.好奇的,被迷住了的v.搞阴谋诡计(intrigue的过去式);激起…的兴趣或好奇心;“intrigue”的过去式和过去分词
- You've really intrigued me—tell me more! 你说的真有意思—再给我讲一些吧!
- He was intrigued by her story. 他被她的故事迷住了。
6 vaguely
adv.含糊地,暖昧地
- He had talked vaguely of going to work abroad.他含糊其词地说了到国外工作的事。
- He looked vaguely before him with unseeing eyes.他迷迷糊糊的望着前面,对一切都视而不见。
7 repulse
n.击退,拒绝;vt.逐退,击退,拒绝
- The armed forces were prepared to repulse any attacks.武装部队已作好击退任何进攻的准备。
- After the second repulse,the enemy surrendered.在第二次击退之后,敌人投降了。
8 sincerity
n.真诚,诚意;真实
- His sincerity added much more authority to the story.他的真诚更增加了故事的说服力。
- He tried hard to satisfy me of his sincerity.他竭力让我了解他的诚意。
9 exempt
adj.免除的;v.使免除;n.免税者,被免除义务者
- These goods are exempt from customs duties.这些货物免征关税。
- He is exempt from punishment about this thing.关于此事对他已免于处分。
标签:
英语听力