英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第262期:第十五章 卡伦一家(11)
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
I'd seen Dr. Cullen before, of course, yet I couldn't help but be struck again by his youth, his outrageous 1 perfection. 当然,我之前见过卡伦医生,但我还是情不自禁地被他的年轻,他可恶的完美震撼了。
At his side was Esme, I assumed, the only one of the family I'd never seen before. 站在他身旁的是艾思梅,我敢确定,因为她是这个家里我此前唯一从未见过的人。
She had the same pale, beautiful features as the rest of them. 她和其他人一样,有着苍白,美丽的外表。
Something about her heart-shaped face, her billows of soft, caramel-colored hair, reminded me of the ingénues of the silent-movie era. 她心形的脸庞,波浪般起伏的柔软的焦糖色的秀发,让我想起了默片时代电影中的纯真少女。
She was small, slender, yet less angular, more rounded than the others. 她个子小巧,身形纤细,但不像其他人那样消瘦,她更圆润些。
They were both dressed casually 2, in light colors that matched the inside of the house. 他们的穿着都很随意,都穿着与屋里的色调相衬的浅颜色衣服。
They smiled in welcome, but made no move to approach us. 他们微笑着表示欢迎,但并没有向我们走过来。
Trying not to frighten me, I guessed. 我猜,是为了避免吓着我。
"Carlisle, Esme," Edward's voice broke the short silence, "this is Bella." “卡莱尔,艾思梅,”爱德华的声音打破了这阵短暂的沉默。“这位是贝拉。”
"You're very welcome, Bella." “非常欢迎你,贝拉。”
Carlisle's step was measured, careful as he approached me. 卡莱尔向我走过来,他的步子十分小心慎重。
He raised his hand tentatively, and I stepped forward to shake hands with him. 他试探性地伸出手,我走向前去,和他握手。
"It's nice to see you again, Dr. Cullen." “很高兴再次见到你,卡伦医生。”
"Please, call me Carlisle." “拜托,叫我卡莱尔。”
"Carlisle." “卡莱尔。”
I grinned at him, my sudden confidence surprising me. 我向他露齿一笑,忽然涌起的自信让我吃惊不小。
I could feel Edward's relief at my side. 我能感觉到,站在我身旁的爱德华如释重负。
Esme smiled and stepped forward as well, reaching for my hand. 艾思梅微笑着,也走上前来,握住了我的手。
Her cold, stone grasp was just as I expected. 她冰冷如石头般的紧握和我期待的一样
"It's very nice to know you," she said sincerely. “很高兴认识你。”她由衷地说道。
"Thank you. I'm glad to meet you, too." “谢谢。我也很高兴见到你。”
And I was. It was like meeting a fairy tale—Snow White, in the flesh. 而且我一直都是。就像遇见一个童话故事——一个活生生的白雪公主。
"Where are Alice and Jasper?" Edward asked, but no one answered, as they had just appeared at the top of the wide staircase. “爱丽丝和贾斯帕在哪里?”爱德华问道,但没人回答,他们已经出现在宽阔的楼梯顶上。
"Hey, Edward!" Alice called enthusiastically. “嗨,爱德华!”爱丽丝热情地喊道。
She ran down the stairs, a streak 3 of black hair and white skin, coming to a sudden and graceful 4 stop in front of me. 她跑下楼梯,只见一阵黑发雪肤的幻影,顷刻之间她已优雅地出现在我面前。
Carlisle and Esme shot warning glances at her, but I liked it. 卡莱尔和艾思梅警告地瞪着她,但我喜欢这样。
It was natural—for her, anyway. 这很正常——无论如何,对她而言确实是这样。
"Hi, Bella!" Alice said, and she bounced forward to kiss my cheek. “嗨,贝拉!”爱丽丝说着,跳上前来亲吻我的脸颊。
If Carlisle and Esme had looked cautious before, they now looked staggered. 如果卡莱尔和艾思梅之前只是警惕地看着的话,他们现在简直是难以置信地看着。
There was shock in my eyes, too, but I was also very pleased that she seemed to approve of me so entirely 5. 我的眼里也露出了震惊的神情,但我还是很高兴,她竟然如此如此全盘地认同我。
I was startled to feel Edward stiffen 6 at my side. 我惊奇地感觉到爱德华在我身旁僵住了。
I glanced at his face, but his expression was unreadable. 我瞥了一眼他的脸,但他的神情有些难以琢磨。
"You do smell nice, I never noticed before," she commented, to my extreme embarrassment 7. “你闻起来真的很棒,我之前从没注意到。”让我异常窘迫地是,她如此评价道。
1 outrageous
adj.无理的,令人不能容忍的
- Her outrageous behaviour at the party offended everyone.她在聚会上的无礼行为触怒了每一个人。
- Charges for local telephone calls are particularly outrageous.本地电话资费贵得出奇。
2 casually
adv.漠不关心地,无动于衷地,不负责任地
- She remarked casually that she was changing her job.她当时漫不经心地说要换工作。
- I casually mentioned that I might be interested in working abroad.我不经意地提到我可能会对出国工作感兴趣。
3 streak
n.条理,斑纹,倾向,少许,痕迹;v.加条纹,变成条纹,奔驰,快速移动
- The Indians used to streak their faces with paint.印第安人过去常用颜料在脸上涂条纹。
- Why did you streak the tree?你为什么在树上刻条纹?
4 graceful
adj.优美的,优雅的;得体的
- His movements on the parallel bars were very graceful.他的双杠动作可帅了!
- The ballet dancer is so graceful.芭蕾舞演员的姿态是如此的优美。
5 entirely
ad.全部地,完整地;完全地,彻底地
- The fire was entirely caused by their neglect of duty. 那场火灾完全是由于他们失职而引起的。
- His life was entirely given up to the educational work. 他的一生统统献给了教育工作。
6 stiffen
v.(使)硬,(使)变挺,(使)变僵硬
- The blood supply to the skin is reduced when muscles stiffen.当肌肉变得僵硬时,皮肤的供血量就减少了。
- I was breathing hard,and my legs were beginning to stiffen.这时我却气吁喘喘地开始感到脚有点僵硬。
7 embarrassment
n.尴尬;使人为难的人(事物);障碍;窘迫
- She could have died away with embarrassment.她窘迫得要死。
- Coughing at a concert can be a real embarrassment.在音乐会上咳嗽真会使人难堪。
标签:
英语听力