英语听力 暮光之城·暮色 第373期:第二十四章 僵局(20)
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
"Alice already saw it, didn't she?" I guessed. "That's why the things she says upset you. She knows I'm going to be like you… someday." “爱丽丝已经看到了,不是吗?”我猜测着。“这就是为什么她说这些会让你心烦。她知道我会成为像你们那样的人……终有一日会的。”
"She's wrong. She also saw you dead, but that didn't happen, either." “她错了。她也看见过你的死亡,但这也没有发生。”
"You'll never catch me betting against Alice." “你永远也逮不到我和爱丽丝打赌。”
We stared at each other for a very long time. It was quiet except for the whirring of the machines, the beeping, the dripping, the ticking of the big clock on the wall. 我们都盯着对方,瞪了很久很久。屋里安静得只能听到机器的呼呼声,蜂鸣声,滴水声,还有墙上的钟的滴答声。
Finally, his expression softened 1. 最终,他的表情缓和下来了。
"So where does that leave us?" I wondered. “所以,我们现在进行到哪儿了?”我想知道。
He chuckled 2 humorlessly. "I believe it's called an impasse 3." 他毫无幽默地轻笑起来。“我相信,这叫僵局。”
I sighed. "Ouch," I muttered. 我叹了口气。“哎唷。”我低声说道。
"How are you feeling?" he asked, eyeing the button for the nurse. “你感觉怎么样?”他问道,眼睛盯着呼唤护士的那个按钮。
"I'm fine," I lied. “我很好,”我撒了谎。
"I don't believe you," he said gently. “我不会相信你的。”他温柔地说道。
"I'm not going back to sleep." “我不想睡过去。”
"You need rest. All this arguing isn't good for you." “你需要休息。这些争论对你没好处。”
"So give in," I hinted. “那么,投降吧。”我暗示着。
"Nice try." He reached for the button. “不错的尝试。”他伸手去够那个按钮。
"No!" “不!”
He ignored me. 他不理会我。
"Yes?" the speaker on the wall squawked. “怎么了?”墙上传来的说话声问道。
"I think we're ready for more pain medication," he said calmly, ignoring my furious expression. “我想我们已经准备好使用更多的止痛药了。”他冷静地说道,完全不顾我狂怒的神情。
"I'll send in the nurse." The voice sounded very bored. “我会去叫护士。”那个声音听起来很厌烦。
"I won't take it," I promised. “我不会服药的。”我保证道。
He looked toward the sack of fluids hanging beside my bed. "I don't think they're going to ask you to swallow anything." 他看向挂在我床边的那个输液袋。“我不认为他们会要你吞药片的。”
My heart rate started to climb. He read the fear in my eyes, and sighed in frustration 4. 我的心率开始加快了。他看懂了我眼里的害怕,然后挫败地叹了口气。
1 softened
(使)变软( soften的过去式和过去分词 ); 缓解打击; 缓和; 安慰
- His smile softened slightly. 他的微笑稍柔和了些。
- The ice cream softened and began to melt. 冰淇淋开始变软并开始融化。
2 chuckled
轻声地笑( chuckle的过去式和过去分词 )
- She chuckled at the memory. 想起这件事她就暗自发笑。
- She chuckled softly to herself as she remembered his astonished look. 想起他那惊讶的表情,她就轻轻地暗自发笑。
3 impasse
n.僵局;死路
- The government had reached an impasse.政府陷入绝境。
- Negotiations seemed to have reached an impasse.谈判似乎已经陷入僵局。
4 frustration
n.挫折,失败,失效,落空
- He had to fight back tears of frustration.他不得不强忍住失意的泪水。
- He beat his hands on the steering wheel in frustration.他沮丧地用手打了几下方向盘。
标签:
英语听力