时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色


英语课

   It didn't sink in at first. I continued to stare at him blankly as the words one by one clicked into place in my head like a ghastly puzzle.  起初,我没有立刻领会他的话。我继续茫然地盯着他,那些话一个字一个字地输入我的脑海里,就像是一个可怕的谜团一样。


  I was barely conscious of the sound of my heart accelerating, though, as my breathing became hyperventilation, I was aware of the sharp aching in my protesting ribs 1. 我只能勉强注意到我的心跳加速的声音。不过,当我的呼吸变得紊乱起来的时候,我才意识到我的肋骨传来的表示伉仪的剧痛。
  He didn't say anything; he watched my face warily 2 as the pain that had nothing to do with broken bones, pain that was infinitely 3 worse, threatened to crush me. 他什么也没说,他警惕地看着我的脸。那种与破碎的骨头无关的疼痛,那种更加糟糕,糟糕到好无止境的疼痛,威胁着要把我碾碎。
  And then another nurse walked purposefully into the room. Edward sat still as stone as she took in my expression with a practiced eye before turning to the monitors. 然后,另一个护士目的明确地走进了房间。爱德华又一动不动地像块石头一样,她训练有素的眼睛把我的神情看在眼里,然后转向那些监视器。
  "Time for more pain meds, sweetheart?" she asked kindly 4, tapping the IV feed. “是时候再吃点止痛药了,甜心?”她友好地问道,轻叩了一下那个静脉注射器的瓶子。
  "No, no," I mumbled 5, trying to keep the agony out of my voice. "I don't need anything." I couldn't afford to close my eyes now. “不,不用。”我喃喃低语着,试图去掉自己声音里的痛苦。“我什么也不要。”我无法承受在这个时候闭上眼睛。
  "No need to be brave, honey. It's better if you don't get too stressed out; you need to rest." She waited, but I just shook my head. “没有必要这样逞强,甜心。如果你不那么强迫自己忍耐,情况会更好些。你需要休息。”她等待着,但我只是摇了摇头。
  "Okay," she sighed. "Hit the call button when you're ready." “好吧。”她叹了口气。“等你准备好的时候,请按呼唤铃。”
  She gave Edward a stern look, and threw one more anxious glance at the machinery 6, before leaving. 她严厉地看了一眼爱德华,然后又瞥了一眼那台机器,眼里更多的是不安,最终离开了。
  His cool hands were on my face; I stared at him with wild eyes. 他冰冷的双手落在我的脸上。我睁得大大的眼睛盯着他。
  "Shhh, Bella, calm down." “嘘,贝拉,冷静下来。”
  "Don't leave me," I begged in a broken voice. “不要离开我。”我用破碎的声音恳求道。
  "I won't," he promised. "Now relax before I call the nurse back to sedate 7 you." “我不会的。”他保证道。“现在放松下来,等会儿我再把护士叫进来给你打镇静剂。”
  But my heart couldn't slow. 但我的心跳依然没有慢下来。
  "Bella." He stroked my face anxiously. "I'm not going anywhere. I'll be right here as long as you need me." “贝拉。”他焦急地轻拍着我的脸。“我哪里也不去。只要你需要我,我会一直待在这里。”

1 ribs
n.肋骨( rib的名词复数 );(船或屋顶等的)肋拱;肋骨状的东西;(织物的)凸条花纹
  • He suffered cracked ribs and bruising. 他断了肋骨还有挫伤。
  • Make a small incision below the ribs. 在肋骨下方切开一个小口。
2 warily
adv.留心地
  • He looked warily around him,pretending to look after Carrie.他小心地看了一下四周,假装是在照顾嘉莉。
  • They were heading warily to a point in the enemy line.他们正小心翼翼地向着敌人封锁线的某一处前进。
3 infinitely
adv.无限地,无穷地
  • There is an infinitely bright future ahead of us.我们有无限光明的前途。
  • The universe is infinitely large.宇宙是无限大的。
4 kindly
adj.和蔼的,温和的,爽快的;adv.温和地,亲切地
  • Her neighbours spoke of her as kindly and hospitable.她的邻居都说她和蔼可亲、热情好客。
  • A shadow passed over the kindly face of the old woman.一道阴影掠过老太太慈祥的面孔。
5 mumbled
含糊地说某事,叽咕,咕哝( mumble的过去式和过去分词 )
  • He mumbled something to me which I did not quite catch. 他对我叽咕了几句话,可我没太听清楚。
  • George mumbled incoherently to himself. 乔治语无伦次地喃喃自语。
6 machinery
n.(总称)机械,机器;机构
  • Has the machinery been put up ready for the broadcast?广播器材安装完毕了吗?
  • Machinery ought to be well maintained all the time.机器应该随时注意维护。
7 sedate
adj.沉着的,镇静的,安静的
  • After the accident,the doctor gave her some pills to sedate her.事故发生后,医生让她服了些药片使她镇静下来。
  • We spent a sedate evening at home.我们在家里过了一个恬静的夜晚。
标签: 英语听力
学英语单词