英语听力 暮光之城·暮色 第343期:第二十二章 捉迷藏(12)
时间:2018-12-26 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
He was standing 1 a few feet away from me, arms folded, looking at me curiously 2. There was no menace in his face or stance. 他站在离我只有几英尺远的地方,交叠着双臂,好奇地看着我。他的表情和站姿没有透露出半点威胁的意味。
He was so very average-looking, nothing remarkable 3 about his face or body at all. Just the white skin, the circled eyes I'd grown so used to. 他真的相貌平平,五官和身材都没有任何特别之处。只有那雪白的肌肤,还有我已经被培养得开始习惯了的有着黑眼圈的眼睛,
He wore a pale blue, long-sleeved shirt and faded blue jeans. 他穿着一件淡蓝色的长袖恤衫,还有一条褪了色的蓝色牛仔裤。
"I suppose you're going to tell me that your boyfriend will avenge 4 you?" he asked, hopefully it seemed to me. “我猜,你会告诉我,你的男朋友会为你复仇的?”他问道,对我来说,他看上去满怀希望。
"No, I don't think so. At least, I asked him not to." “不,我不这样认为。至少,我告诉过他不要这样做。”
"And what was his reply to that?" “那么,他的回答是什么?”
"I don't know." It was strangely easy to converse 5 with this genteel hunter. "I left him a letter." “我不知道。”与这个优雅的捕猎者交谈轻松得有些奇怪。“我给他留了一封信。”
"How romantic, a last letter. And do you think he will honor it?" His voice was just a little harder now, a hint of sarcasm 6 marring his polite tone. “真浪漫,最后的一封信。你认为他会遵守信中的内容吗?”他的声音听起来生硬了些,一丝讽刺破坏了他礼貌的语气。
"I hope so." “我希望他会。”
"Hmmm. Well, our hopes differ then. You see, this was all just a little too easy, too quick. To be quite honest, I'm disappointed. I expected a much greater challenge. “呃嗯。好吧,那么我们的愿望很不一致。你看,这太容易了,太快了些。老实说,我有点失望。我本来还期待着更大的挑战。
And, after all, I only needed a little luck." 可到头来,我只需要一点运气。”
I waited in silence. 我沉默地等待着。
"When Victoria couldn't get to your father, I had her find out more about you. “在维多利亚没法靠近你父亲的时候,我让她找出更多关于你的信息。
There was no sense in running all over the planet chasing you down when I could comfortably wait for you in a place of my choosing. So, after I talked to Victoria, 在我能够舒舒服服地在我选中的地方等着你的时候,就没有必要满世界地追着你跑了。所以,在我和维多利亚聊过以后,
I decided 7 to come to Phoenix 8 to pay your mother a visit. I'd heard you say you were going home. At first, I never dreamed you meant it. But then I wondered. 我决定来凤凰城拜访一下你母亲。我听到你说你要回家。起初,我从没想过你确实是这样做的。但之后我起了疑心。
Humans can be very predictable; they like to be somewhere familiar, somewhere safe. And wouldn't it be the perfect ploy, 人类很容易被预测。他们喜欢待在熟悉的地方,安全的地方。这实在是个完美的做法,
to go to the last place you should be when you're hiding the place that you said you'd be. 躲到你最不可能去躲藏的地方你说你会去的地方。
1 standing
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
2 curiously
adv.有求知欲地;好问地;奇特地
- He looked curiously at the people.他好奇地看着那些人。
- He took long stealthy strides. His hands were curiously cold.他迈着悄没声息的大步。他的双手出奇地冷。
3 remarkable
adj.显著的,异常的,非凡的,值得注意的
- She has made remarkable headway in her writing skills.她在写作技巧方面有了长足进步。
- These cars are remarkable for the quietness of their engines.这些汽车因发动机没有噪音而不同凡响。
4 avenge
v.为...复仇,为...报仇
- He swore to avenge himself on the mafia.他发誓说要向黑手党报仇。
- He will avenge the people on their oppressor.他将为人民向压迫者报仇。
5 converse
vi.谈话,谈天,闲聊;adv.相反的,相反
- He can converse in three languages.他可以用3种语言谈话。
- I wanted to appear friendly and approachable but I think I gave the converse impression.我想显得友好、平易近人些,却发觉给人的印象恰恰相反。
6 sarcasm
n.讥讽,讽刺,嘲弄,反话 (adj.sarcastic)
- His sarcasm hurt her feelings.他的讽刺伤害了她的感情。
- She was given to using bitter sarcasm.她惯于用尖酸刻薄语言挖苦人。
标签:
英语听力