美国语文第四册 第10期:微笑(2)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
He stopped in front of her window, and, smiling very pleasantly, said, "How shall I find the way to your room?" 他在她的窗前停了下来,非常友善地微笑着说:"我怎样才能找到通往你房间的路?"
Jennie pointed 1 to an alley 2 near by, where he turned in, and with some difficulty found his way to the dingy 3 staircase. 珍妮指了指附近的一条小路.他拐了进去,颇为费劲地找到了昏暗的楼梯.
Opening the door to Jennie's gentle "Come in," he said, "I have brought you a handful of flowers to look at this rainy day." 随着珍妮轻柔的一声"请进",门开了.他说:"我给你带了鲜花,你在雨天里可以看看的."
"Are they for me?" exclaimed Jennie, clapping her hands in delight. "它们是给我的吗?"珍妮惊呼,高兴得拍起手来.
"How kind you are," she continued, as George laid them in her lap. "你真是个热心肠."乔治将花放在她膝盖上,
I have not had a flower since we live in the city. 她继续说道:"自从搬到城里来住,我还没见过花儿呢."
"Did you use to live in the country?" asked George. "你原来一直住在乡下吗?"乔治问道.
"Oh, yes," answered Jennie, "we used to live in a beautiful cottage," "是的,"珍妮回答,"我们原来住在乡间小屋里,"
and there were trees and flowers and green grass, and the air was so sweet. 那里有很多树很多花,还有大片大片的绿草,就连空气都散发着香甜的味道."
"Well, what made you move here?" "Oh," said Jennie, softly, papa died, and mamma was sick so long that the money was all gone. "是什么原因让你搬到这里来的?""噢,"珍妮缓缓地柔声说道,爸爸去世了,妈妈又一直生病,钱都花完了.
Then mamma had to sell the cottage, and she moved here to try to get work to do. 后来妈妈不得不卖掉房子,搬到这里来想办法找点事做.
"Do you have to sit here all day?" asked George, glancing around the bare room and out into the dismal 4 street. 乔治扫了一眼空荡荡的屋子和窗外阴郁的街道,问道:"你必须整天都坐在这儿吗?"
"Yes," said Jennie, "because I am lame 5; but I would not care for that, if I could only help mamma." "是的,"珍妮回答,"因为我的腿有残疾;但其实我不太在意这个,只希望能给妈妈帮点忙."
"I declare, it's too had!" said George, who dreaded 6 nothing so much as being obliged to stay in the house. "我敢说你已经做到了!"乔治说道.他担心没有那么多的事不得不呆在家里.
1 pointed
adj.尖的,直截了当的
- He gave me a very sharp pointed pencil.他给我一支削得非常尖的铅笔。
- She wished to show Mrs.John Dashwood by this pointed invitation to her brother.她想通过对达茨伍德夫人提出直截了当的邀请向她的哥哥表示出来。
2 alley
n.小巷,胡同;小径,小路
- We live in the same alley.我们住在同一条小巷里。
- The blind alley ended in a brick wall.这条死胡同的尽头是砖墙。
3 dingy
adj.昏暗的,肮脏的
- It was a street of dingy houses huddled together. 这是一条挤满了破旧房子的街巷。
- The dingy cottage was converted into a neat tasteful residence.那间脏黑的小屋已变成一个整洁雅致的住宅。
4 dismal
adj.阴沉的,凄凉的,令人忧郁的,差劲的
- That is a rather dismal melody.那是一支相当忧郁的歌曲。
- My prospects of returning to a suitable job are dismal.我重新找到一个合适的工作岗位的希望很渺茫。