英语PK台 第447期:辛苦了!给职场解解压吧
英语课
Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hey, Mark. How was your weekend?
京晶:嘿,马克。你周末过得怎么样?
Mark: Well, it went by in the blink of an eye. I worked the whole weekend.
马克:一眨眼的工夫就过了。我整个周末都在工作。
Jingjing: You worked? I'm sorry to hear that. No wonder you look like you're about to break down. Is everything alright?
京晶:你工作来着?好可怜。难怪你看起来就快要崩溃了。你还好吗?
Mark: I think so. I promised my boss I'd get this engineering project done on time. We've been working on it for three weeks and now we're coming to the crunch 1.
马克:还好。我答应老板会按时完成这个工程项目。我们努力了三个星期了,现在到了紧要关头。
Jingjing: Oh, I see. It sounds like you bit off more than you can chew.
京晶:哦,我明白了。这听起来像你们承担了很大压力呀。
Mark: Yeah, I think you're right. But I have to get it done. I don't want my boss to think I can't cut the mustard.
马克:是的,没错。但我必须完成它。我不希望老板认为我不能胜任。
Jingjing: Mark... Why didn't you ask me for help? I've told you a bunch of times that I know engineering in and out. I would've been happy to help you.
京晶:马克……你为什么不找我帮忙呢?我已经告诉过你了,我对工程的事了若指掌,而且我很乐意帮助你。
Mark: That's alright. I figured you were probably chilling with your friends this weekend. I didn't want to bother you.
马克:没事的。我想着周末你可能要和朋友聚聚,放松放松。我不想打扰你。
Jingjing: Well, all I can tell you is next time you should start working on your project earlier. Don't wait until the last minute to start doing something. Just remember: a stitch in time saves nine.
京晶:嗯,我可以告诉你的是,下一次你应该早点开始你的项目。不要等到最后一分钟才开始。记住:要防微杜渐。
Mark: Yeah, I procrastinated 2 too much this time. That's what I get for being lazy.
马克:是啊,我这次拖延了太长时间了。这就是我懒惰的代价。
Jingjing: Mark, listen. I think you should take some time off and spend some time relaxing. It'll really help you out. Why don't you take half the day off and go relax?
京晶:听着,马克,我想你应该休息一段时间,花一些时间放松。这真的很有帮助。你为什么不放半天假去放松放松呢?
Mark: I'll try it. But if I lose my job, I'm gonna be angry!
马克:我会试试的。但是,如果我失去了我的工作,我会生气的!
Jingjing: It's better than losing your sanity 3!
京晶:这总比你发疯好!
New words: 习语短语
in the blink of an eye=一眨眼的功夫,用来表达一件事发生得很快
break down=崩溃,不运作
come to the crunch=到了紧要关头
bite off more than you can chew=承担不能完成的挑战,自不量力
can't cut the mustard=不能达到标准,或者不能胜任
know (something) in and out=对某事了若指掌
chill=放松,玩耍
A stitch in time saves nine.=防微杜渐,在早期处理处理一些事情以防止它恶化。
procrastinate=拖延
what I get=我应得的
lose sanity=失去理智,发疯
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Hey, Mark. Wow, you look chock-full of energy! What's new?
京晶:嘿,马克。哇,你看起来充满了能量!有什么新鲜事儿吗?
Mark: Not much. I took your advice and have been relaxing a lot more lately. I finally finished that project I had been working on.
马克:也没什么。就是我听了你的建议,最近放松了很多。我终于完成了最近一直在做的那个项目。
Jingjing: Looks like you've been getting some good sleep lately.
京晶:看起来你最近睡眠很好啊。
Mark: Yeah, I'm not burning the midnight oil anymore like I used to be. I've been sleeping like a baby at night.
马克:是啊,我不再像以前那样挑灯夜战了。我最近一直睡得像个婴儿一样香甜。
Jingjing: Cool, so what have you been doing to take the edge off?
京晶:酷,那你最近做了什么来缓解压力吗?
Mark: I've been learning how to break dance.
马克:我一直在学习霹雳舞。
Jingjing: Are you serious? I never thought you'd find that interesting. Are you good at it?
京晶:真的?我从来没有想过你会喜欢这个。你很擅长吗?
Mark: Well, I don't mean to boast, but yeah I'm one of the best ones in the class.
马克:嗯,我不是想自夸,但是事实就是,我是班上跳得最好的学生之一。
Jingjing: You don't mean to boast? Um, you sounded really conceited 4 just now, you know?
京晶:你不是想自夸?嗯,你听起来相当自以为是啊。
Mark: Haha, yeah well I'm serious. I'm really good. You should come to the club with me tonight. Come on, I'll pay for your ticket.
马克:哈哈,但我是说真的。我跳得真的很不错。你今晚应该和我去酒吧。来吧,我请客。
Jingjing: Are you trying to bribe 5 me? Or do you just want to show off your new skills?
京晶:你是不是想贿赂我?还是你只是想炫耀你的新技能?
Mark: Haha, okay. I can tell you're not interested. I'll talk to you later.
马克:哈哈,好吧。看来你不感兴趣。我们回头再聊吧。
Jingjing: Bye!
京晶:再见!
New words: 习语短语
chock-full of=充满
burn the midnight oil=开夜车,熬夜(工作)
sleep like a baby=像婴儿一样熟睡,睡觉很好
take the edge off=缓解压力;减弱
break dance=霹雳舞
boast=吹牛
conceited=自以为是的
bribe=行贿
show off=炫耀,向别人展示你的技艺有多好
n.关键时刻;艰难局面;v.发出碎裂声
- If it comes to the crunch they'll support us.关键时刻他们是会支持我们的。
- People who crunch nuts at the movies can be very annoying.看电影时嘎吱作声地嚼干果的人会使人十分讨厌。
拖延,耽搁( procrastinate的过去式和过去分词 )
- She procrastinated her return. 她拖延了归期。
- He procrastinated until it was too late to do anything at all. 他因循坐误,一事无成。
n.心智健全,神智正常,判断正确
- I doubt the sanity of such a plan.我怀疑这个计划是否明智。
- She managed to keep her sanity throughout the ordeal.在那场磨难中她始终保持神志正常。
adj.自负的,骄傲自满的
- He could not bear that they should be so conceited.他们这样自高自大他受不了。
- I'm not as conceited as so many people seem to think.我不像很多人认为的那么自负。
标签:
英语PK台